63rd Annual Candy Cane Parade Kicks Off this Saturday

South+Broward+High+School+marching+band+performing+in+the+2017+Candy+cane+parade.+

South Broward High School marching band performing in the 2017 Candy cane parade.

Valerie Mejia and Jon Krawczonek

Candy canes! Christmas lights! Santa! Music! If you’re a bundle of Christmas joy and holiday spirit, then the Candy Cane Parade is the perfect event for you!

The annual Candy Cane Parade that takes place in Hollywood Beach is one of the longest running holiday parades in the country. The event started back in the mid-1950’s by a group of Hollywood merchants as a way to attract patrons to their shops and businesses. Today it features dozens of lighted floats, vehicles, bands, and organizations along the parade route, entertaining the thousands of parade watchers who line the Broadwalk.

Many of the people in the city of Hollywood, enjoy attending and performing in the parade, especially the students of South Broward High School. South Broward’s marching band performs every year in the parade, playing their famous stand tunes and Christmas songs that make the crowd wild. Marching band students are always excited to perform at the parade and spread their Christmas spirit to people viewing the parade.

Junior, Brianna Ferro, who has performed with the band in the candy cane parade her freshman and sophomore years says, ” I really liked that people really loved watching us perform because they would always be excited to see us.”

Every year, the band plays a series of songs while marching through Hollywood beach and perform choreographed dance routines that always leave the crowed cheering for more.

The band isn’t the only thing that leaves people amazed, because the several different organizations and parade floats covered in Christmas lights also put giant smiles on people’s faces, especially if you’re a Christmas lover like South Broward High School Sophomore, Andrea Valazquez, who says, “I’m very excited to attend the parade because Christmas is my favorite time of year”.

Another South Broward student, Cassandra Del Valle, who has performed in the Candy Cane Parade for 2 years says that her favorite part about the parade is seeing all of the festive lights.

This festive Christmas – themed procession is an event that all viewers and performers enjoy being apart of every year. With all the lights, floats, music, candy, and joyful people, this holiday parade is one that will continue to be appreciated and adored by the crowd and performers for many years to come.