The 2019 Government Shutdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

The 2019 Government Shutdown

Washington DC— One month in and still no deal: The 2019 federal government shutdown began on Dec. 22, and there’s still no end in sight as talks between parties continue to stall

President Donald Trump’s latest proposal — $5.7 billion in funding for a border wall in exchange for extending temporary protections to immigrants his administration sought to end was rejected by Democrats over the weekend. But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he intended to bring it to the floor this week, a vote that could come Thursday. But by then House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had already announced her opposition, calling the President’s latest proposal a “non-starter”.

The public isn’t happy with anyone at the moment. A majority of Americans disapprove of the way Trump (61%), Republicans in Congress (60%) and Democrats in Congress (53%) are handling negotiations over the shutdown, according to Pew Research.

“Trump’s proposal can’t get 60 votes in Senate and was never designed to,” the aide said. “But the White House knew that already,” Democrats will continue highlighting the shutdown’s negative effects on the hundreds of thousands of government workers who aren’t getting paid. On Tuesday, Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Virginia, will volunteer at chef José Andrés’ World Central Kitchen to serve food to some of them.

The effects of the longest government shutdown in history has been felt around the country especially the federal workers, who have not been paid for over a month now. Many people are getting restless and frustrated with the slow progress but are trying to help the unpaid workers in every way they can including food drives and side jobs.

“If the President wants to negotiate over immigration reform, I’m all for it,” said Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Massachusetts, on Monday. “I have supported compromised immigration proposals in the past and I’m sure many others will as well. But open the government. Open it now.”

Ethan Lacouty, Editor

Ethan is a 14 year old freshman at SBHS who's interested in learning more about people and the world, and turn their lives/ideas into stories. His favorite...