South Broward’s Coral Club Teaches Individuals About the Importance of Shells

Barbara Jacobovitz explains the concept of Coral Club to people who attended the Cardboard Boat Regatta. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.

Alexis McMurray, Photographer

A man listens intently as Barbara Jacobovitz explains Coral Club’s main purpose and priorities. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.
Barbara Jacobovitz demonstrates an experiment that shows how shells affect the ocean and why you shouldn’t take them out of the ocean. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.
Barbara Jacobovitz explains coral’s job within the ocean and how it helps the ecosystem stay stable. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.
Sophia Landi explains to a child how corals are important to sea life and the ocean. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.
A little girl watches as members of Coral Club, Barbara Jacobovitz, Jacob La Roque, and Sophia Landi (photographed left to right), explain how removing shells from the ocean has a long lasting effect on its ecosystem. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.
Ilana Szarf shows a woman a demonstration of the effect that shells have on ocean acidification. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.
Coral Club President, Barbara Jacobovitz, shows a girl and her mother an experiment that demonstrates how the removal of shells from the ocean can lead to ocean acidification. Photograph by Alexis McMurray.

On October 12, 2019, South Broward High School’s Coral Club showcased an experiment at the City of Hollywood Marina. Members Barbara Jacobovitz, Ilana Szarf, Arielle Adelman, Sophia Landi, and Jacob Laroque helped teach children and adults about the importance that shells have to the ocean. An experiment with the usage of boiled cabbage water, baking soda, and vinegar displays why removing shells from the ocean leads to more acidification within it.

The experiment begins by pouring pink cabbage water into a mason jar to demonstrate what a healthy ocean looks like. Then, club members will pour vinegar into the liquid to turn it blue and show effects of acidification and removal of shells. Lastly, baking soda is stirred into the mixture to turn it back to the color pink and show what would happen to the ocean of everyone threw their shells back into the ocean. The experiment was a way for individuals to understand how big of an impact shells have on the ocean.

Many people will go to the beach and take one or two shells out of the water, it may not seem like it makes a difference, but when a million people are doing this every day, it can have a swift and major effect. Many people did not know this when presented with the information at the event. That’s why Coral Club can make such a huge difference in the Earth’s well-being. Helping an individual correct their way of habit may not seem like a huge impact, but just like the shells, it can have a swift and major influence on society.