Hispanic Heritage Dance

Almendra Gutierrez, Contributor

Living in South Florida, one can’t help feeling the influence of Latin culture that surrounds us every day. On October 10th, South Broward High Schools’s Latinos In Action’s event the “Hispanic Heritage Dance,” showcased the culture from a number of Latin American countries through music, dance, and patriotism. Students, Latin or not, gathered around the patio near 101 during A and B lunches to dance salsa, bachata, and merengue.

Latinos In Action is a club directed by Mr. Rodriguez in which students with Hispanic background volunteer as tutors and mentors of middle school and elementary school children from Oakridge and Dania. The class, with the objective of spreading cultural awareness, organized this fun event to give a festive conclusion to Hispanic Heritage Month. The Latinos In Action students each represented their countries by bringing flags and wearing jerseys from their countries.

The dance engaged students who were not aware beforehand of the schools cultural diversity. From students to staff, everyone enjoyed themselves on the dance floor, dancing along to the songs and teaching each other new dance moves. The principal, Mrs. Brown, was very supportive of this event, with the intent of making everyone feel included and represented at South Broward.

“I am honored to empower the Latino culture here in South Broward. A lot of students had fun with the music and their friends and it brought a sense of respect and admiration to their multicultural peers. Si podemos! Somos South Broward!” says Mrs. Brown.

Almendra Gutierrez
BRIGHTEST SMILES: Ydnar Flores (12th) and Daniela Velasquez (12th) represent Venezuela at the Hispanic Heritage Dance on the SBHS Patio, October 10, 2019. The two Venezuelans sung, danced, and enjoyed themselves at the Hispanic Heritage Dance.
Almendra Gutierrez
YELLOW TAKEOVER: Latinos In Action students sit at the table before performing at the Hispanic Heritage Dance at the SBHS Patio on October 10th, 2019. The students wore a shirt representing their country for the Hispanic Heritage Dance.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
THE TWIRL: Ms. Dixon and Mr. Rodriguez show off their dancing skills at the SBHS Patio for the Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. Teachers danced and sung Hispanic songs during A and B lunch celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
FEELING THE MUSIC: Sarai Inostroza (12th) and Principal Mrs. Brown dance along to “La Rebellion” by Joe Arroyo on the SBHS Patio for the Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. South Broward’s principal danced along with students celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month.
Almendra Gutierrez
SPANISH PRIDE: Lucia Miro (11th) pridefully represents Spain at the SBHS Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. The Spaniard danced and sung along latin songs, celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
A FLAG HIGH UP: Jordy Aristizibal (12th) stands besides Mrs. Brown, who holds up the Colombian flag at the SBHS Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. SHBS’s Principal held up the Hispanic flag up high, showing her support for latin population on SBHS.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
FROM COUNSELING TO DANCING: Gustavo Mijares (12th) and Mrs. Hernandez-Berkowitz salsa their way to everyone’s heart at the Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. The counselor and the student danced salsa together representing latin culture.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
FROM COUNSELING TO DANCING: Gustavo Mijares (12th) and Mrs. Hernandez-Berkowitz salsa their way to everyone’s heart at the Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. The counselor and the student danced salsa together representing latin culture.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
ECUADORIAN PRIDE: David Penaherrera (12th) shows Ecuadorian pride by showing off his flag for the Hispanic Heritage Dance held on October 10, 2019. The senior came prepared with a shirt and flag representing his country and ready for hitting the dance floor.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
DANCE PREPARATIONS: Daniela Duque (12th), Mateo Patino (12th) , and Jose Nunez (12th) get ready to hit the dance floor for Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. The senior friends from Latinos In Action sat together at the table before going to the SBHS Patio to dance latin music.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
TAKING A BREAK FROM COUNSELING: 12th grade Counselor, Mrs. Hernandez-Berkowitz, represents latin culture at SBHS during the Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. Mrs. HB danced salsa and bachata along her students at the SBHS Patio during A and B lunch.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
THE FLAG STAYS ON: Alexandro Martinez (12th) and Elena Key (12th) dance salsa at the Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. Alexandro represented Cuba while Elena represented Venezuela at the dance held in SBHS in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
DANCE TIME: Students learn how to dance salsa and bachata at the Hispanic Heritage Dance held October 10, 2019. SBHS students during A and B lunch showed interest in latin culture, danced, and sung Spanish hits.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
COLOMBIAN MERENGUE: Eveling Ortiz (12th) dances merengue at the SBHS Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. The Columbian senior taught how to dance merengue to students during A and B lunch.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
SHOWTIME: Students dancing salsa at SBHS’s Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. Latino or not latino, students danced and sung their favorite hispanic songs during A and B lunch for Hispanic Heritage Month.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
A BREAK FROM THE OFFICE: Sarai Gonzales (10th) and Principal Mrs. Brown dance together at the Hispanic Heritage Dance on October 10, 2019. The principal danced along SBHS students showing her support for latin culture at school.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
A BREAK FROM THE OFFICE: Students learn how to dance salsa and bachata at the Hispanic Heritage Dance held October 10, 2019. SBHS students during A and B lunch showed interest in latin culture, danced, and sung Spanish hits.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
A CROWDED PATIO: Students learn how to dance salsa and bachata at the Hispanic Heritage Dance held October 10, 2019. SBHS students during A and B lunch showed interest in latin culture, danced, and sung Spanish hits.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
A BREAK FROM CLASSES: Students learn how to dance salsa and bachata at the Hispanic Heritage Dance held October 10, 2019. SBHS students during A and B lunch showed interest in latin culture, danced, and sung Spanish hits.
Almendra Gutierrez-Medina
CULTURAL MINGLE: Students learn how to dance salsa and bachata at the Hispanic Heritage Dance held October 10, 2019. SBHS students during A and B lunch showed interest in latin culture, danced, and sung Spanish hits.