Enthusiastic Work of SBHS Color Guard

SBHS+Color+Guard+team+poses+with+their+black+and+red+sequin+costumes.+

SBHS Color Guard team poses with their black and red sequin costumes.

Karla Rubio, Editor

When South Broward High School’s marching band takes the field during half time, audience members hear the music, clap for the dancers and watch the hip moves of 60 SBHS students that have worked hard to perfect their performance. Adding flash and pizzaz to that performance are the giant orangey-yellow flags waving across in the background. Because they are in the back, they are often thought of as a flamboyant edition. Window dressing for the main show. But, that thought would fail to tell the real story of color guard. How hard they work. How many how many hours of practice and the dedication it takes.

Throughout the whole year, South Broward High School’s color guard team works on choreographing parade stands and routines for their audience. Whether it is at practice after school, football games and halftime shows, solos, annual shows, the dancers put in the full force of their effort. It is mandatory that the dancers go all out.

For three years, SBHS Junior Cherokee Trimble takes part in color guard. It continues to fill her with joy.

“[I love] the excitement operforming,” said Trimble. “I always feel so confident. It makes me feel so powerful and beautiful.” 

Trimble was interested when she noticed their performance at the Candy Cane Parade in December 2017 on Hollywood Beach.

“Instantly, I wanted to do it,” she said.

SBHS Freshman Fonda St. Fleur is a new member of the team. When she first started practicing with the girls, she came exhausted every day. With no dance experience, it was hard for St. Fleur. Guard has not been only tough for a starting practice, but it has given St. Fleur what she puts into it. It was a lot more work than she thought.

“It’s been a challenge. I felt like I wanted to pass out,” said St. Fleur.

Most people don’t know how tough it is, but it is physically and mentally challenging. Head Captain and SBHS Senior Kyla Rivera does.  

“There are a lot of frustrating factors but as far as teaching new girls, it can be a challenge,” said Rivera. 

Rivera acknowledges that she was not the best dancer coming into color guard.  Though it was the good sportsmanship and love to each other that motivated her to get through the years of color guard.

“A lot of new dancers are very self-conscious, so it is my job to break them out of their shell and show them the dancer they can be,” said Rivera. 

The color guard team does all that it can to make certain each member is as dedicated as the other. The practice schedules can be hectic, usually happening on Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:00-6:30 PM. But, sometimes there are spontaneous practices during the week if the team needs extra work. 

Those who are interested in joining should know some important facts. 

“Some important things to know when joining color guard is to be yourself, be ready to give some sass, and don’t give up because eventually you’ll catch on,” said Rivera.

If interested in joining, spring auditions will be held. You may speak to a former color guard located in the band room for more info on practice schedules. You will also receive (or print) a physical form and marching packet at South Broward’s band website “The Marching Bulldogs.”