The Deadliest Disease of the Decade

Joey Luechauer, Contributor

Teenagers love to seek adventure and excitement because they believe they’re invincible. Although, for many teens their morning routine requires a protective mask and going about their day in a cautious manner. 

On January 30th, 2020, the Health and Human Services Organization declared a public health emergency on an international level regarding a newfound respiratory virus first detected in China, commonly known as the Corona Virus, or by the official name, “SARS-CoV-2, or “Covid-19,” for short. The virus is caused by a disease which originates in animals which can be passed through to humans by consuming infected animals like fish. The infectious disease spreads through coughing, sneezing, physical contact, or even touching an infectious object. Currently, there is no vaccine for Covid-19. 

Covid-19 has been projected across the globe in a terrifying blaze, infecting at least 32 different countries including: The United States, Canada, China, Japan, Russia, Australia, India, Germany, United Kingdom, Israel, etc. Covid-19 presently has infected over 79,000 people across the world and has killed over 2,600. Although, the global recovery amount rose to 24,900 according to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. 

In the United States, Covid-19 has reached the mainland through travelers who came to America from Wuhan through plane or boat. The disease has also reportedly been spread from person to person but is not spreading through the communities of the United States at this time according to the CDC. 

Confirmed cases of the Covid-19 disease have given symptoms ranging from mild to severe illness and death. These symptoms include shortness of breath, coughing, and fevers. Based on previous Covid-19 cases analysists believe that symptoms can arise in as little as two days or as long as two weeks. 

Experts believe that this new unknown virus will spread rapidly worldwide like it unexpectedly has in China. Although, Wuhan City has bought the rest of the world valuable time in order to prepare for Covid-19 due to their government locking down cities for quarantine. So far, the United States is not at immediate risk for this highly infectious virus but can quickly become a part of the rapidly rising infection rate due to travel, transport, and migration.  

Generation Z, who in some cases are about to be set off into the world as adults, have been lacking in concern towards the international epidemic. Adam Lei, a senior at Miramar High School, has family in China who are trapped in the country due to this respiratory disease 

“It’s hard to believe how quickly the Corona Virus has spread and killed thousands of people in China and even with quarantined cities it still spreads.” Adam Lei, a senior at Miramar High School, says with remorse. 

” Not a whole lot of kids are paying attention to the severity of the situation and how it can affect all of us in the near future. We need to band together and figure out a way to cure, stall, or even prevent the virus. Sarah Falzone, a junior at MacArthur High School, spreading awareness as best as she can. 

I’ve never really payed attention to the news or even researched anything on the Corona Virus. If what people have been saying is true, then I’m scared for the world.” Replies Johnathan Waxman, a senior at Dillard High School. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended getting flu vaccines, taking daily preventive actions, and even taking flu antivirals if prescribed. The CDC has also recommended that healthy persons should not wear a protective mask to prevent catching the disease regardless of the rest of the world. Although, if youre showing signs of illness, masks should be worn including immediate contact with your healthcare provider.