Empowering Ethnicities, One Member at a Time

Nia Jean, Contributor

In America, African Americans, Hispanics, and other ethnicities aren’t praised. Many people may feel unappreciated in their own nation, this is why the Ebony Club was made, to empower people of all ethnicities and cultures.

Jevon Major has been a member of the club since his junior year, now a senior, he has a passion for the club and what it stands for. “The main purpose of Ebony Club is to bring together students of all cultures” he said.

“The goal of Ebony Club is to unify, educate, and embrace culture.” said Major

The biggest event the Ebony Club hosts is the Black History Month Show in February. “The Black History Month Show is an educational performance we put together for the school, something everyone can enjoy and learn something from.” said Major.

Last year’s Black History Month Show was 90s themed filled with skits, singing, dancing, and spoken word. This year’s theme of the show is “progression through time” showing how blacks have overcome many obstacles in many years.

Ebony Club also wants to host a Hispanic Month Jamboree during both lunches. Popular Hispanic music will be played to give anyone with a hispanic background an opportunity to be proud of their ethnicities and to teach other students about the different hispanic cultures.

“The misconception about Ebony Club is that is it only for African American students, but it is for every ethnicity.” said club secretary Loyce Gedeus.

Although the club is primarily made up with African Americans, Haitians, andJamaican, students the club also has white and hispanic members and are trying to  encourage more ethnicities to join.They try to gain new members by spreading the word like at freshman invasion the club tried to get new minority members.

During each meeting, which are held every Tuesday, the club tries to brainstorm more ways to spread the word on ethnic empowerment and discuss the events they have planned.

“Ebony club is a great way to get in touch in your ethnicity by being surrounded with other that can teach you new things.” says Gedeus

“It is  a way to bring cultures together which is important to do.” said Gedeus

If you want to learn learn and celebrate about Black History and Hispanic History while gaining service hours which will help you with graduation, come to the meetings held every other Tuesday on the 3rd floor of the 400 building in Mrs. Ogal’s room. Anyone who believes in bringing cultures together this is the opportunity to express your beliefs.