Meet Ms. King

A new debate and english teacher at South Broward

Emma Rogers, Contributer

A new teacher stepped up this year, to fill the old debate advisors shoes. Her name is Ms. King and she’s got a big voice and an even bigger heart.

Ms. King, an English teacher by trade, has taught at several schools  including Flanagan High School in west Hollywood, and at Ardenne High school in Jamaica. Altogether she has taught for five years, this is her first time teaching debate.

King hopes to help boost students confidence and their ability to articulate themselves exceptionally.

“I want to encourage students to raise their argument, not their voice.”

The diversity in the school is fresh and inviting to Ms. King.

“I love the diversity here,” said Ms. King, “There is a more diverse population, socio economically, intellectually and culturally.”

Feeling right at home in her new position, She enjoys the accepting and seemingly family-oriented staff.

When Ms.King stepped into position as one of SBHS’s debate teachers, she also took over the responsibility of the school’s debate team. Bringing new aspirations and goals along with her.

Sophomore Emmanuela Yiannikakis thinks, Ms. King is open-minded and ready to take on new ideas, doing the absolute most to understand students needs.

Emmanuela Yiannikakis said, “ Ms. King is responsible, motivated and willing to make the debate club better.”

Yiannikakis  enjoys that Ms. King is striving to improve SBHS’s debate  classes and club, but believes Ms. King still needs time to gain experience.

“She does not know as much as other teachers because she has less experience” stated Yiannakakis.

Brianna Martin, a debate student in one of Ms. Kings class, stated “She is Definitely an interesting character.”

Overall Martin believes Ms. King “has this very bold presence”, and has well intentions.

Students think Ms. King is thriving in her new environment, with a bubbly attitude and happy face.

Students feel an inviting and accepting vibe every time they step into their debate classes.