Seniors Adjust to Online School

Olivia Colabella, Contributer

It’s 7:30 in the morning, Valentina Nazzar rolls out of bed and turns on her laptop to join her first class of the day. 

“Last year I would wake up, do my hair, and pick out an outfit. Now I just roll out of bed and sit at my desk” said Nazzar.   

Due to covid, about 300 or less students chose to return to on campus school. The majority were freshman that wanted to explore the new school. There were very few seniors that decided to return to campus many, like 17- year- old Valentina Nazzar, mainly enjoyed the social aspect of school and miss their friends. 

I love seeing my friends,” said Valentina Nazzar“So online school isn’t really in my favor.”  

Like plenty of seniors before her, Nazzar spent her underclassmen years getting excited for times like prom, color day, and grad bash. But now all of these activities have postponed due to the virus.  

“For me, I was most excited for color day. I already was planning out what to wear with my friends,” said Nazzar.  

Now it’s a mission to try and work those things out, but also remain safe.  

“Even though I really want to go back to school, I want to be safe,” said Nazzar. “I love my friends and I wouldn’t want to put any of us at risk from covid.” 

Nazzar can’t wait to go back to school to see her friends and socialize more. 

Other students, likeSBHS 17-year-old senior Juan Galeano,  don’t mind online school. He said he adapted to online school more quickly than he thought. 

After having to be in normal school for 13 years, I thought it would’ve been difficult adjusting to the completely new changes,” said Galeano. 

However, he does admit it’s a lot easier for students to get distracted because they are in control of how they choose to use their time. 

“But I am finding it a bit troubling to stay focused and to pay attention since I am at home, surrounded by everything that distracts me, “said Galeano.  

At school, there is always a teacher walking around the room and monitoring students to make sure they stay on task.  

“The main thing that scares me about online school is that sometimes I feel like it’s optional,” said Galeano. “But in reality, it’s just as important.”  

Galeano said that there are some classes he wishes he didn’t have to take online, like math. 

“Math has always been slightly difficult for me, but math online should be a crime,” he said with a laugh. “But at the end of the day, I have to put up with online classes because that’s how I can do my part to keep my family safe from the virus.”