Covid-19 Impact On School Clubs

Yearbook+club+on+teams+meeting.+

Yearbook club on teams meeting.

Samantha Goicochea, Editor

“ The hardest thing about being Co-president of NAHS during this pandemic is taking events and projects we do every year in school and adapting to e-learning,” stated SBHS senior Zohar Wolfson.

They felt very limited with their sources with many clubs, but others found a way to work around them. Take, for example, The National Art Honor Society. By using alternatives for The National Art Honor Society, they have kept up.

“Our club is very social; we love being together. It is hard not being able to see each other,” said Ms. Ostheim, sponsor of The National Art Honor Society club.

It was tough for the 55 member club to adapt, but they managed by being creative, using PowerPoints and slideshows to talk about their club meetings, and showing club members artwork.

“We are keeping up and managing our events. We have resorted to sharing art online, and soon we will start selling items on the school’s e-store,” stated Wolfson.

For events coming up for their club, they used their SBHS website as a source for sharing their club member’s artwork for International peace day and Hispanic heritage month; they are determined to keep moving forward even with this pandemic going on.

They have an amazing leadership team and have numerous activities that their club can do this year. “The pandemic has not slowed them down,” stated Ostheim.

They still meet every other Tuesday for their club meetings and continue to follow alignment with the CDC regulations; regarding the pandemic, they have never thought about ending their club because of it.

“Our club marches on!!” stated Ostheim.

They are looking forward to presenting their new ideas for next year and the new events they have planned virtually.

As for the yearbook club, which is more like a class rather than a club, they have managed very well with their members.

“We have to adjust how we collect pictures and stories for the yearbook,” stated Quinonez, the sponsor/ teacher of the yearbook club.

They meet every other day for the seventh period and discuss their upcoming projects for the yearbook on teams meeting and via text on Remind to share ideas outside of school.

“We were able to build different relationships with one another while meeting virtually,” stated Quinonez, which created a good effect on them as a team by sharing and coming up with ideas for the yearbook.

Since Yearbook Club uses computers to design and create,  the process of meeting virtually was very smooth. As well, it was easy to share out ideas and be able to do this virtually.

The only problem that students were struggling with was trying to include new people outside of yearbook class. 

“ It gets annoying using the same people over and over again,” stated SBHS senior Safiyah Juman-Welch

They have many deadlines that they need to meet, and even though it was difficult to involve new people outside of the Yearbook club, luckily, doing this virtually pushed them to get their projects done on time. 

“We always get things done, one way or another,” stated Quinonez.

While it’s been very smooth with the process of doing this virtually for Yearbook club, some students may reconsider doing this again with the same circumstances as this year.

“Truthfully, if we had to do this again, it would be way too stressful for me because I hate not being able to put my all in into this,” stated Juman-Welch