Cheering with Covid-19

The South Broward cheer team posing and taking a picture after decorating the boys locker room for their game against Hallendale

Dakota Chesser, Contributor

Veronica Bruns is the cheer coach at South Broward High school. She is also the schools ESE Support teacher. She explains how Covid-19 affected her cheer team this year compared to last.

“There aren’t as many girls as we had in previous years. There are mostly smaller girls which is good and bad in competition season,” said Bruns.

The cheer team consist of about 17 girls and there are three different cheer seasons. There’s football cheer, basketball cheer and competition cheer. Every year, they go to competitions, but this year they will not be in states.

“Because the state of Florida is ahead of us, so we will be going against Broward County and Dade county,” said Bruns.

Noa is the cheer captain of the South Broward cheer team. She’s also a senior at South Broward. She was asked why she enjoys cheer.

“…being on the cheer team is like having a second family. I have been cheering wit almost all these girls since my freshman year. So being on the team and watching girls come and go is exciting,” said Noa.

Practicing is really fun for Bruns, even if this year is different she claims it will still be fun while being safe.

“We were able to teach all the cheers and dances with no problem and we are teaching the new girls how to fly, base, and back board for competition season. Watching these girls learn is an amazing sight,” said Noa.

Clare is the co-captain of the South Broward cheer team. She is also a junior at South Broward.

“We don’t have that many girls and usually they all do football and then either comp or basketball. But with only 12 girls being able to go onto comp, there won’t be that many girls on the basketball cheer team, so I hope they have enough to at least have a team,” said Clare.

This year for cheer, she will be doing comp after football season is over.

“I’ve been doing it since freshman year and I’ve learned and taught and I’m glad to be apart of the team,” said Clare.