Early Childhood Education

More Than Just an Elective

Welcome sign outside of Little Broward

Emily Tetreault, Contributor

The sound of excited squealing filled the room as the children entered. Just getting back from recess, they piled into the daycare center, many rushing to the tot-sized water fountains to quench the thirst they acquired after playing outside. Others followed instructions to sit on a large multicolored carpet at the back of the room. One particularly adventurous child unsuccessfully attempted to let himself out of the front entrance.  

During all of this, Early Childhood Education students wrapped in red aprons corralled the few small children who ran astray. Even though it was seemingly a high-stress situation, all of the students looked happy to be working with such excitable children.

The Early Childhood Education course, more commonly known as ECE, has many long term benefits that are usually overlooked. Whether the certification gained with the course is a backup plan or a life plan, there is no doubt that this course is extremely beneficial to anyone who decides to enroll.

“There are many benefits but I think the most beneficial is helping children to succeed in life and actually being a role model for students and building their own leadership skills.” Says Dr. Rhone, an Early Childhood Education teacher at SBHS.

“The hands on that the students receive by working with the children in Little Broward, they see what the different levels are of the students, the differences in the ages, the capabilities of each child, and if a child has a problem, how they cope with the problem” Says Ms. Batts regarding the benefits of Early Childhood Ed.

In the course, students are required to work together to form people skills but are also required to teach the class individually in order to form teaching skills. This method of learning can universally benefit anyone by giving them the leadership and cooperative skills required for high paying jobs. The course also provides an insight into the world of working with children for careers they may involve them.

“In the future I want to be a Pediatrician, and working with children is like, a way to understand how they are,” Says a senior working in Little Broward, the on-campus childcare center at SBHS.

“To actually receive the certification for child care, it would take the student from the time that school starts in August and all the way until May. There are 40 hours that students must take in the five different modules,” Says Rhone. “They are receiving a certification from the Department of Children and Families and it is a child care certification that shows that they have completed the necessary competencies to work in a childcare setting.”

With even just two years of this course, students can benefit greatly with a certification and newly obtained life skills that they can use for the rest of their lives.