Varsity Basketball Players Sit for the National Anthem

Vanessa Cramer, Contributor

Colin Kaepernick’s taking a knee protest sparked an argument that spread across the nation, and on October 12, the controversy arrived at South Broward High School.

During the football home game against West Broward High School, four SBHS varsity basketball players didn’t take a knee – they took a butt.

In doing so some of the staff saw the players sitting for the anthem and reported it to the head coach who thought it was disrespectful. “I wasn’t paying attention and I had my headphones in my ear but either way I stand with my teammates,” One of the players said. Supposedly the coach then asked players for a good enough reason on why they didn’t stand for the anthem, however, this has not been confirmed

The players then were penalized for sitting down for the national anthem. Players then had to run laps at the end of the game.

An anonymous basketball player when asked on why he sat down during the anthem said: “Because I follow Colin Kaepernick and everything he believes.” Another player when asked the same question said: “because my dad explained to me the reason why Colin Kaepernick is protesting and I want to stand with my dad on this matter.”

The protest that Kaepernick started has been controversial in the last few months due to the comments the president has made on Twitter which has sparked more protests. It was also a reason given by one of the players, “I didn’t like some of the statements Donald Trump said about African Americans.” All players interviewed wish to stay anonymous.