Hallway Makeout

The Public Display of Affection Debate

Morandi Mansingh and Katlyn Porfiris

Sophmores Cali Harris and Thomas Dudra hugging in the hallway.

A light peck on the cheek, a kiss on the lips, a full on wet tongue wrestling session. However you want to call it kissing, a full blown making out session, hugging, and handholding are all ways of expressing PDA (public display of affection). PDA in school is controversial. Some students and teachers feel that making out in the hallways isn’t so savory. “I’m totally against it its highly inappropriate for students to be doing that” “A lot of things have changed over my 36 years of teaching , teenage couples expressing themselves at school isn’t as common as it was back in the days.”said Coach Myers the athletic coach at SBHS. On the other hand, some feel that PDA is acceptable and normally apart of teenage lives. “Its not anyone’s business what students choose to do in the hallways, teachers don’t say anything so why should it matter.” said Olivia Baret a student at SBHS.

At SBHS the topic is very controversial, some feel as if there should be a limit. Myers dislikes PDA around school, “The only thing I think is acceptable is handholding”.

Ms.Walker a security guard around school says she feels “they should be doing it in private because this is a place for learning.” “Getting your education should be more important.’’

Yasmine Erne a junior that attends the school, approves of students showing affection around school unlike the staff other staff that was interviewed. “I feel like students should be able to express themselves.” Even though she is all for it she feels that “students shouldn’t be groping each other in the hallways.”

Like Erne, many students feel that there is nothing they can do to stop this issue. “As long as they don’t go pass the limit then I’m fine with it.”
There are no rules against PDA found in the Student Code of Conduct or around SBHS. So student’s actions aren’t completely wrong..

There is no real agreement of the rules PDA around school due to the fact that administration hasn’t taken any action and students have a difference in opinion.