Work it Girl!

Working Out isn't Just for Boys Anymore

Shyanne+Gray%2C+Jazmine+Beaudry%2C+and+Kamise+Jackson+in+the+weight+room+getting+ready+to+start+their+work+out.+
Shyanne Gray, Jazmine Beaudry, and Kamise Jackson in the weight room getting ready to start their work out.

Taylor Scirghio

Taylor Scirghio

Zakiyyah Mobley, Wilkeria Crawford, Contributer

Jazmine Beaudry restlessly lifts weights in the weight room.

Shyanne Gray working on her upper body.

Kamise Jackson working out her arms.

The clank of weights, the grunts of struggling, body builders, the smell of sweat. The gym is no place for a lady, or is it?

According to the National Institute of Health, girls are 19% less physically  active than boys.

That was apparent at a weight training class at SBHS, as only five girls in a class of 30 squatted, lifted weights, and motivated each other to get in shape.

“I love exercising it makes me feel good about myself,” said  tenth grader Shyanne Gray. Gray is taking this class to stay fit. Exercising on a daily basis is a yes for her. She exercises 30 minutes to an hour, and she’s counting her calories. Over the years, she’s dropped 20 pounds.

She started getting serious about fitness two years ago. Exercising is  a stress reliever for her; it helps her to relax and gives her time to think. She doesn’t have an personal trainer, she works out on her own, she feels as though she is happier after a good work out and she feels as she is on her way to being much healthier. 

Physical fitness is a form of health and well-being. People usually get into fitness to either lose the weight they want to use, wanting to stay fit after they lose the weight they wanted to, or just staying fit from their original size. There are different ways to perform the act of fitness: sports, occupations, and daily activities(workouts).

Yes, more young men work out more than young women, but there is some hope for girls.