The Other Cheerleaders

SBHS Competition Cheer is coming into it’s own.

Erick Marrero

Christian Dumitru, Contributor

In a hot, empty gym twelve girls set up mats and stretched in preparation for a three hour cheer practice. South Broward’s competition cheerleading girls are out and about with hard work and motivation.

Emma Rogers, a sophomore new to SBHS joins the competition cheerleading team and has no idea what’s about to go down. Rogers explains her opinion of her first year there. “I’m very happy to be part of this team, at first I was nervous and intimidated but I have learned how to get along with my teammates.” South Broward’s competition cheerleaders have won three competitions to this day with hard work and five to six days of intense training per week.

Their next competition is coming up and the SBHS girls cheerleading competition team wants to do better than last time.

“My favorite stunt is the full up because we get to throw the flyer up in the air to a base stunt with her legs fully extended, every position matters because if someone messes up that gives tension to the other positions.” says Rogers.

With this twelve person team everyone’s position is connected to one other.

“If one person falls everyone goes down.” says Rogers.

“My coach is very nice and an inspirational person to us girls, she gives us what needs to be heard to improve.” Emma said.

Tashara, another cheerleader that is new to this spectacular program, is getting used to these customs.

“In this group we all love each other equally, and we all treat each other with respect and kindness. We all practice in the mini gym for a good amount of hours.” says Tashara.

South Broward’s competition cheerleaders are a great way to show what us Bulldog’s are all about.