The Aventura “Shooting”

Desley Perez, Editor

An explosion of tweets and snaps claiming there was an active shooter at the mall popped up all over social media. In a matter of seconds, thousands of people fled the mall in panic. People dumped their clothes on the floor, children were separated from their parents, and shoppers cowered in bathrooms. Those who could get out were snarled in a monstrous traffic jam that snaked  around the mall.

That’s what happened on Saturday, Dec. 23, 2017 at Aventura Mall, one of the busiest malls in Broward County; it was one of the busiest days of the year. Mass shootings are happening with such frequency that a tweeted rumor can send thousands ducking for cover and fleeing for their lives. Even though Aventura Police have determined that there was no shooter and no shots fired, people saw their phones and panicked.

It was a social media-hyped rumor. And everyone believed it. How could they not?

“Welcome to the world of social media and the internet,” said mall security expert Chris McGoey. With bombings and shootings taking place daily in our society, it’s understandable for someone to mistake a loud noise for a gunshot.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 307 mass shootings from January 1 to November 5. That averages to almost 7 mass shootings a week. This is what our future generations and kids are going to be living in. We now have to take great precaution to go to school, to go to work, or to go out with friends. The “Aventura shooting” was a prime example of citizens assuming the worst due to our society. With the way our world is heading, these numbers will only increase.

What can we do to help prevent these common shootings? Maybe enforce stricter gun laws, maybe have centers where people with mental illnesses can talk about their problems and seek professional help, maybe even have some restrictions on social media.

The point is, we need to take action to better our future generations. It starts with us.

46 Comments

46 Responses to “The Aventura “Shooting””

1. PAULO GUERRA on February 8th, 2018 10:43 am

My cousin was in this shooting he goes to South Broward i’m not going to name him but it is a terrifying experience and it was wild they were hiding in the back of a shoe store and he came home safe. Everyone at home was scared for them.
    Good job Desley!

[Reply]

2. Desley Perez on February 8th, 2018 1:38 pm

I will like to learn how to better our generations and keep us safe. I don’t like living in a crazy world with bombings and shootings taking place all the time, I wouldn’t want my kids living in that.

[Reply]

3. santana bigley on February 8th, 2018 1:39 pm

this artical was very informative i myself dint know that there wasent a shooting at the mall

[Reply]

4. Manaya on February 8th, 2018 1:44 pm

I believe this is true because we live in a really messed up world dominated by social media.

[Reply]

5. Kevin Perez on February 8th, 2018 1:48 pm

The article highlights the main issue which is how social media is used and what people choose to believe in, but this reminds us to be careful about what we read and still act a bit skeptical.

[Reply]

6. Aleksandar Stavreski on February 8th, 2018 1:49 pm

I think it is very important for our community and our generation to learn on how to be safe and how to prevent these events from occurring ever again in our communities. For example, we could make new laws or help people that may have a mental disorder.

[Reply]

7. Alon on February 8th, 2018 1:50 pm

We should not let people with mental illness use guns.

[Reply]

8. Aris on February 8th, 2018 1:52 pm

i think its crazy that theres ATLEAST 7 mass shootings a week and how something dropping can be assumed as a gun shot

[Reply]

9. Kellie Christnagel on February 8th, 2018 2:29 pm

i personally think this was very informational. i had heard about this shooting but i didn’t look into it that much. But reading this story, i know more

[Reply]

10. aliusky garcia on February 8th, 2018 2:29 pm

i think that they should create a program for people who needs mental help, so every places, could be safe of anyone who is antent to shot at people or make an act such as a terrorist.

[Reply]

11. lisbeth alberty on February 8th, 2018 2:31 pm

I think that there should be more security to limit the use of firearms and more if they are illegal, they should put more security in public places such as shopping centers, supermarkets, public schools, etc. so that they have better security for the citizens of the United States. reinforce the security cameras and be very careful to avoid any terrorist attack.

[Reply]

12. Lenny Arias on February 8th, 2018 2:31 pm

Great article, real future in journalism.

[Reply]

13. Ms. Kelly on February 8th, 2018 9:20 pm

Absolutely terrifying…….as we are stilling learning the benefits and hazards of social media.

[Reply]

14. Ricardo garcia on February 9th, 2018 11:30 am

It is sad how mass shootings have been normalized in america. 7 mass shootings a week is not a good statistic. So, naturally, no one stopped to check if there was an actual shooter. Ma nem jeff

[Reply]

15. Julieta on February 9th, 2018 11:35 am

The Aventura shooting was a horrible thing that has happened to us. Being there must have been very scary thinking there was a shooter.

[Reply]

16. Erick marrero on February 9th, 2018 11:36 am

You are exactly right with every thing on this article.

[Reply]

17. Creighton on February 9th, 2018 11:37 am

I don’t remember the last time I was involved in a shooting, but I do remember being born right after the twin towers were destroyed.

[Reply]

18. Tabius on February 9th, 2018 11:40 am

From Desley’s article, I discovered that mass shootings are even bigger. According to the p.o.v Gun Violence Archive, there have been 307 mass shootings from January 1 to November 5. That averages to almost 7 mass shootings a week. This is what our future generations and kids are going to be living in. We now have to take great precaution to go to school, to go to work, or to go out with friends. The “Aventura Shooting” is a prime example of citizens assuming the worst due to our society. With the way our world is heading, these numbers will only increase. It’s sad that future generations have to experience this.

[Reply]

19. Richard on February 9th, 2018 11:51 am

This world is becoming really dangerous. You cannot do anything without worrying if you are going to return home safe and uninjured.

[Reply]

20. Naiya Clarke on February 9th, 2018 2:16 pm

The fact that social media can dictate such a response in a matter of minutes is astounding. But with the world we are living in today it probably will occur again. What we need to do, as a community, is create a world that is safer for our youth and our future.

[Reply]

21. Cristian Suarez on February 9th, 2018 2:24 pm

There should be stricter gun laws.

[Reply]

22. Neftali Soler on February 9th, 2018 2:27 pm

Social Media is now a daily use for every teenager and even some children in 2018. Whether it’s Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc, everyone has a social media account once in their lives. With what’s going on in our world today, hearing about a shooting isn’t really a shocker which is terrible. Still, this “shooting” being close to home really spooked people, and since people posted it could’ve saved some peoples lives as well. You never know if someone sees a Snapchat post that was going towards the shooting and immediately left the area.

[Reply]

23. Daniel on February 9th, 2018 2:28 pm

There should be new gun laws because we can not let things like this happen.

[Reply]

24. kyla on February 9th, 2018 2:32 pm

I think nowadays we believe everything that we see in social media, even though social media may be the fastest way to find out what’s happening around you. In this case they found no suspect and I feel this might have been a joke or hoax. I believe we should use social media to be truthful, and to alarm others when needed. We should never put fear into our peers’ hearts especially for no reason.

[Reply]

25. jevaughn jackson on February 9th, 2018 2:32 pm

Gun laws need to be more strict.

[Reply]

26. Aaron Malcolm on February 12th, 2018 7:53 am

Gun Laws should be more strict. People should have background check to check for mental illnesses or for any other sicknesses because gun shootings are getting out of hand !

[Reply]

27. Dean Gregorio on February 12th, 2018 7:56 am

Yes. Because it will keep more people safe, and it will prevent more shootings and deaths.

[Reply]

28. Trinity march on February 12th, 2018 7:57 am

Wow this is very sad and disturbing.

[Reply]

29. Nelson Castiblanco on February 12th, 2018 7:57 am

Never trust whats on the internet , don’t believe it , it could be fake or real.

[Reply]

30. Dean Gregorio on February 12th, 2018 7:57 am

Yes, because it will keep people more safe, and it will prevent more shootings, and deaths. There will also be less robbories.

[Reply]

31. Sasha Staszewski on February 12th, 2018 7:58 am

It’s amazing how someone can make a false comment go viral. So many people were scared for their lives, just because of a joke or mistake.

[Reply]

32. ian rattigan on February 12th, 2018 7:58 am

social media is one of are best ways of finding information about any topic. you can easily manipulate people through using the internet; plenty of people lie about their identity, locations, and even their life style.

[Reply]

33. Juana on February 12th, 2018 7:59 am

Gun control is needed in our country to prevent further things like this to occur. Shooting and gun violence has increased over the years yet no one is doing anything to control it.

[Reply]

34. jeffery greene on February 12th, 2018 8:00 am

Gun laws should be more stricter so this wouldn’t happen again.

[Reply]

35. Olivia baret on February 12th, 2018 8:00 am

I think that is really sad people are doing stuff but they don’t care if they hurt someone it’s disgusting and this needs to stop .

[Reply]

36. Adrian on February 12th, 2018 8:01 am

Shootings have been happening so much that it’s understandable for those people to believe there was a shooting.

[Reply]

37. James on February 12th, 2018 8:01 am

Nowadays, there are so many immature people on social media. I don’t really focus on what goes on social media because most the of stuff on it is false.

[Reply]

38. Alyssa on February 12th, 2018 8:02 am

The media today is out of hand and sometimes unreliable. Although, it is good that people are able to get news quickly enough to get to a safe area in the event of a shooting.

[Reply]

39. Damien Ferguson on February 12th, 2018 8:05 am

So many people are out of their minds. Laws for guns should be more strict to prevent such things from happening.

[Reply]

40. Laura on February 12th, 2018 8:05 am

It’s so sad to think that shootings happen so often. That when something appears online, everyone doesn’t doubt it and automatically reacts.

[Reply]

41. Anthony on February 12th, 2018 8:11 am

Nowadays we believe everything that we see in social media. If someone makes up a false statement and someone thinks it is true, then they’ll tweet it. Then the next person retweets it and so forth, and that false statement spreads quickly through the internet.

[Reply]

42. Jose Mendoza on February 12th, 2018 8:12 am

I think it should be some kind of hard restriction for the use of guns. Especially, for people that have some mental problem, and can pose a big risk where innocent people can die.

[Reply]

43. Mia Funes on February 12th, 2018 2:30 pm

This article was very informative and helped me understand the power of social media.

[Reply]

44. Mercy Valdes on February 15th, 2018 4:47 am

Desley, A well written article and with the irony of the timing. I’m sorry you lost a good friend in yesterday’s shooting and another friend was shot but should recover. May God be with all those impacted to include you.
    No matter what happens you must not live in fear, That’s the evil person’s wish, Do not give them that satisfaction. Amy would have wanted you to live your life to the fullest and to love others the way you know how.
    What can we do to help, Pray! Pray for healing and Pray for God to send his Angels to protect all those that are suffering from mental illnesses. God hears the prayers of his people but you must ask God for help, He wants you to want him before bad things happen.
    I personally do not believe in stricter Gun Laws, I Love & will Protect My 2nd Amendment. You must understand that a Good Person with a Gun will stop a bad Person with a Gun.

Love You Desley! Keep communicating the way you know how on Social Media! It’s your generations form of Communication and it’s effective but than again don’t spend too much time on Social Media. Everything in Moderation.
    God Bless You All & May God Protect South Broward High School.

[Reply]

45. Kristen Camacho on February 23rd, 2018 10:43 am

I myself was a victim in the Aventura shooting, I witnessed fear beyond imagination on the customers faces. This issue is outrageously too common and needs to be settled! I would never want to be put back into that situation nor would I ever wish that upon anyone else. I side completely with Desley.

[Reply]

46. sergio vazquez on March 21st, 2018 12:22 pm

what happened was horrible because no one is the world would like a tragedy like that to happen. and who was in the positioin i pray for you cause i imagine expirence they went through

[Reply]

• The Aventura “Shooting”

Features

The March for Our Lives on D.C.

• The Aventura “Shooting”

In-Depth

Rally For Our Lives

• In-Depth

Class Rank- Does it Matter?

• The Aventura “Shooting”

In-Depth

Higher Level Classes- Are They Right For You?

• The Aventura “Shooting”

In-Depth

Diversity in South Broward

• The Aventura “Shooting”

In-Depth

The Life Of A Lunch Employee

• The Aventura “Shooting”

Entertainment

Hear ye, Hear ye

• The Aventura “Shooting”

Features

Ishola Adefunmi

• The Aventura “Shooting”

Features

The Upward Bound Program

• The Aventura “Shooting”

Sports

Boys Volleyball Give it Their All in State Finals

The Aventura “Shooting”