Dragon Parade

This is a dragon float from a Chinese Lantern Festival being held in Philadelphia. in 2017.

Liam Waite, Writer

The Chinese Honor Society performed the Dragon Parade on March 2, 2018 during A & B lunch. The parade was in celebration of the Chinese Lantern Festival.

“This is to celebrate the Chinese Lantern Festival,” said Ms. Huang who recorded the parade from behind the scenes.

The Lantern Festival is one of China’s most traditional celebrations and falls on the 15th day of the first lunar month- typically February or March (on the Gregorian calendar). Varieties of lanterns are hung in the streets and children make their own to show off in village parades. Other traditions may include riddles on the lanterns for people to decipher.

The Dragon Parade began at 11:12 am; the dragon’s body was a magnificent red and gold. The dragon was carried by nine students who were members of the Chinese Honor Society. Each member that carried the dragon held one part of the dragon on a long wooden pole. Also, there were eight drummers who accompanied the parade.

First, the parade marched through the school’s courtyard. The parade then marched through the cafeteria. Finally, the parade marched back through the courtyard and into the 1st floor of the 300’s building.

All through the parade, a legion of interested students followed the parade as it went through the school.

“It’s pretty good,” said Jack Silovitz.