Teenage Tattoos

Karla Reyes, Writer

This is Richard Valle’s left arm; it’s a sleeve of his religious beliefs.

Tattoos have been around since between 3370 and 3100 BC. The oldest discovery of a tattooed human was found on the body of Ötzi the iceman.

Since the beginning of tattoos, they’ve been a way a person can express art on their body. Almost 47% of young adults, ages 18-29 in the US have at least one tattoo, according to physician and public health professional, Dr. Greg Hall.

Richard Valle, a student at South Broward High School has around 9 tattoos in total. Richard’s first tattoo was of his moms name, he explained that he had come to regret it but eventually accepted it as part of his body and says that “he wouldn’t have changed his mind about getting it now.”

Richard’s mom didn’t mind his first tattoo, but told him not to get another one. He hid his second tattoo, which was his grandmas name.

His other tattoos include, Jesus Christ, angels, his birthday, and an “r” tattoo on his finger. All the tattoos on his body have a meaning, family and religion are very important to him so he many of his tattoos represent his beliefs.

Although he got his first tattoo when he was 16, he believes people should be able to get tattoos at a mature age.

Laci Cedeño, a teacher at South Broward, has a few tattoos as well. Her first tattoo came about at the age of 22. When asked about her opionion on whether minors should be able to get tattoos, her response, “I think minors shouldn’t get tattoos because people grow up and you won’t be the same person you were from when you’re 15 and when you’re 30.” 

Around 2 out of 3 minors without tattoos believe they should be allowed to get tattoos if they choose to do so.

In 2006, Northwestern University researchers did a study of 500 people ages 18 to 50 and found that about 25 percent of them had tattoo that they regret getting, but only 17 percent are thinking of having their tattoo or tattoos removed.

Getting a tattoo is a desicion that is unchangable, if you’re going to get one, choose wisely!

Karla Reyes, Writer/Editer

This is Karla. She's a transfer student from championship academy. Although she cant draw, art is very important to her. She loves going to art galleries...

1 Comment

One Response to “Teenage Tattoos”

1. Yunior Vidal on March 15th, 2018 7:29 pm

Laser removal is a thing now, so it’s not impossible to erase a mistake.

Teenage Tattoos