Planning Summer Vacation

Lorraine Perez, Contributor

Everyone’s favorite season is almost here. Summer!!

And for the last two years, Florida’s theme park guests have had to deal with construction walls that promise magic, thrills, adventure, inspiration or just plain fun that are coming soon…

Now here, finally comes the payoff: This summer, many of those walls will come down, showing newer expanded attractions with new technology, heroes and villains, and scream-induced thrills. A few have already opened; but most will open in late May or June.

Here are the new or renovated / expanded rides:

Five new rides: Mako, a roller-coaster at SeaWorld; Cobra’s Curse, a coaster at Busch Gardens; Skull Island: Reign of Kong at Universal’s Islands of Adventure; and Frozen Ever After at Epcot. Volcano Bay at Universal.

Three expanded or renovated attractions: Soarin’ Around the World at Epcot, Toy Story Mania! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and the Incredible Hulk roller-coaster at Universal’s Islands of Adventure.

A variety of new shows: two animated movies at Legoland; a Star Wars stage show at Hollywood Studios; A stage show based on The Lion King plus a light show at the Tree of Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom; Mickey’s new stage show at the Magic Kingdom; a package of high-tech shows that celebrate astronauts and courage at Kennedy Space Center; plus new fireworks shows with special effects at Legoland and Hollywood Studios.

New nightlife at Animal Kingdom.

And The last piece of the expansion of Disney Springs, mainly known as Downtown Disney.

A student, Clayton Thompson, at South Broward High School, went to Universal’s Volcano Bay, in Orlando. I interviewed him on his opinions on the rides and his overall experience. “ In June of last summer, I went to Volcano Bay and I have to say it wasn’t what I expected.” ‘There were 8 rides in the park and most of them were water slides and only one was a relaxing ride.