A Transparent Solution or Have We Clearly Lost Our Minds?

A student sitting next to their shield against guns.

A student sitting next to their “shield against guns”.

Kaliana Hutiu, Writer

For awhile now Parkland students have been forced to wear clear backpacks to school as a safety measure.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas (MSD) students haven’t responded positively. All over social media, they voiced their opinions drawing attention to the fact that this idea shouldn’t even have passed as a viable solution to get anything done.

Some students managed to even troll their school for giving them these backpacks, filling them with feminine hygiene products, and displaying messages showing their disappointment. One student took the liberty in turning his bag into a live aquarium.

Considering the close proximity of MSD and South Broward High School, if there was a shooter on the SBHS campus, would students also be required to wear clear backpacks? Should this idea be used at others schools?

“The [clear backpack] idea needed more thought. If a student can jump the fence to get out of school, they can jump the fence to get in. And who’s to say a person with a gun can’t either?” said SBHS student Jordyn Chazulle.

Chazulle, a supporter of Pro-Gun Control, was outraged by the idea of clear backpacks.  She believes that MSD students responded appropriately to what the school administration thought could be a step forward to safer schools.

“There are so many ways to sneak a gun into school, even with transparent bags. Students could hide it between or inside books,” said Mishel Almaleh, a SBHS freshman.

As another Pro-Gun Control supporter, Almaleh didn’t feel like the school was using all of their resources, at least not in the right way. However, she sympathizes with the school board. The education system lacks the proper funding in many aspects.

According to Governing Magazine, it takes $11,392, on average, to send one student to school for a year. In other places of the United States its up to $200,000. That kind of money does not grow on trees.

“[The school board] was probably looking for a cheaper temporary solution, because of how expensive it is to educate kids,” she said.

Either way, many students agree that the idea of using transparent backpacks should not be an accepted solution, considering the many faults that have appeared.

“I don’t see how clear backpacks are going to help. It’s a security issue.It’s a problem with gun control,” said Chazulle.