Bullying at South Broward High School

Liam Waite, Editor

Bullying has evolved from a minor problem to a serious issue that requires the full attention of government officials, teachers, and schools.

“I definitely think it’s a problem in all schools, but there’s different forms of bullying,” said freshman Desley Perez.

While South Broward has measures to combat bullying, it is still a problem that many students have faced.

“We do a really great job at dealing with reports of bullying which are minimal,” said Ms. Itzkowitz the 9th Grade Administrator.

South Broward administrators could not give us the number of bullying reports as it was confidential.

According to stopbullying.gov, 20% of students in grades 9-12 experienced bullying.

The Student Code of Conduct defines bullying as the chronic infliction of physical hurt or psychological stress to one or more students or employees.

If a student were to report bullying, their report would be put into a database for documentation. An investigation is launched by a team of behaviorists and administrators to resolve the problem.

South Broward High School has taken measures to reduce bullying and inspire better understanding among students. The school follows school board policy and the Student Code of Conduct like many other schools in Florida. Twice a year South Broward organizes the Positive Behavior Assembly to review the Student Code of Conduct with students. They also give a “field day” to students who have followed the Student Code of Conduct at the end of each semester.

In addition to the Positive Behavior Assembly, South Broward High School also allowed students to see the 2017 feature film Listen. The movie Listen focused on trying to show how students impact each other, and it focused on warning viewers to pay closer attention to others.

Bullying may not be a serious issue at South Broward High School, but bullying still exists here as it does in most schools.

“I believe it is not a problem, but understanding society I know it has to be,” said Matthew Sheppard an Algebra 1 and Thinking Skills teacher.