Florida Kids Sue State over Climate Change

Barney Folger, Editor

Governor Rick Scott is not a scientist, as he’s disclosed many times. The word climate change is supposedly banned in his administration, he’s backed up President Trump’s move to exit the Paris Climate Accords and has come under flak constantly for not admitting climate change is an issue.

Which on the morning of April 16th, caused a group of young people, the oldest being 20, while the youngest is 10, to sue him in a court of law.

This move, while still unusual, has happened before, except on a Federal level. In the case of Julianna v. U.S. an environmental group made up of only very young people sued the Federal government over the lack of action to deal with climate change. The trial date has been set for Oct. 29th, 2018.

So there is a legal precedent for this type of case. The group of kids is being represented by Our Children’s Trust, which is based in Oregon.

Florida’s Southern Tip is the most endangered part of the country when it comes to climate change. Scientists expect that by 2070, the streets of Miami could be liable for daily flooding. Which has caused the city to spend millions on keeping it’s streets dry.

The Governors spokesmen, Mckinley Lewis replied to the lawsuit later in the day, “The Governor signed one of the largest environmental protection budgets in Florida’s history last month – investing $4 billion into Florida’s environment. The Governor is focused on real solutions to protect our environment – not political theater or a lawsuit orchestrated by a group based in Eugene, Oregon.”

Barney Folger, Editor

Meet Barney Folger, now a senior at South Broward High School. He came to SBHS from Key West, where he worked on Key West High’s school paper, the Snapper, as a political editor. He enjoys writing, and hopes to turn it into a career, either through journalism or writing novels. His music interests include Indie Rock, and most genres of music that doesn’t drive him insane. His favorite type of novels include, fantasy and comedy, usually both in the case of Terry Pratchett. His answers were also carefully thought out, to make him sound the least bit interesting. He can wait to start writing again this year.