Halloween Coming Up

Here Comes Halloween a Very Unique Time of the Year.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Halloween Coming Up

Qynesha Pierre, Contributor

It’s that time of the year again. Time to get spooky and get some free candy. Do you know why we get to do that? No? Well let me tell you, it’s because it’s Halloween. It is the night of October 31st, the eve of All Saints’ Day, commonly celebrated by thousands of children.

The best thing about Halloween is the candy. Yum! I’m pretty sure everyone loves them a little candy. But the question is how did trick or treating even start? Well, beginning in the middle ages, thousands of years ago children and poor adults would dress up as angels, saints, and a few demons and go around door to door during Halloween begging for food or money in exchange for songs and prayers. Anyways this was called  Souling. Souling is the action, practice, or ritual of going about asking for donations of food, etc., traditionally on the eve of All Souls’ Day.

As we go trick or treating we see lots of decoration like the Jack O’ Lanterns. Want to know a fun fact? The first Jack O’ Lanterns were made from turnips. Who would have thought!

There are many symbols for Halloween as we know a carved pumpkin is one, but let’s talk about how owls are a symbol too. In medieval times, owls were believed to be witches, and if you heard the call of an owl it meant that someone was about to die. Now that’s spooky. Oh, and also another good symbol to talk about is the black cats. Black cats are also on the spooky side of Halloween. If a black cat crosses your path, you’ll be cursed with bad luck. Are you scared yet? Well, are you ready for this upcoming Halloween? This time it might get a little spookier. Happy Halloween!

Qynesha Pierre, Contributor

Qynesha Pierre is a freshman at South Broward High School, who is a very shy and quiet person. Pierre does not participate in any clubs because she wants...