Best Buddies Club

This is one of the teacher that help with the best buddy and these are two of the kids.

Shea Neiman, Writer/Contributor

Best Buddies is a club that allows both exceptional needs kids and kids that are part of the program to become just as the namesake implies- buddies.

Mrs. Jackson is the head of the club, and is passionate about incorporating the exceptional needs kids into all the enjoyable activities that go on in our school. She wants there to be opportunities for them. “I want them to be included in the population’s activities, not just their own,” says the teacher.

Buddies are chosen through a match party/buddy pairing. The kids in the club are able to go to party with fun activities. Everyone gets to hang out, get to know one another, and find out who is best matched with whom. The most compatible kids are then paired together.

The buddies do many activities with each other for the year, such as coming to help the exceptional needs kids in their classes, walk them to lunch, and hang out with them. However, Best Buddies is not limited to the campus. They also do other activities outside of school, such as go to the movies.

This Saturday, the club will also be electing their own home-coming king and queen. It is another way to make all the kids feel included. It is the clubs 3rd year electing their own home-coming king and queen. 

The Best Buddies program is doing their part to help the exceptional needs kids feel included here in South Broward. If you want to be a part of this program, talk to Mrs. Jackson in room 708 today.