A New Chapter

Umma Chowdhury, Contributor

I remember walking into class, the first day of sixth grade. Everyone was looking at me, probably because I was the only brown kid or because I was from a whole different continent. I was so nervous. I didn’t know anyone. I didn’t know what to do or where to sit and I was having trouble understanding; it seemed like they were not speaking English but some other language. And even though English was not my first language I did not have that much of trouble communicating. Everyone started coming up to me, asking where I was from and I got tired of saying “NO, Bangladesh in not in India! It’s a whole different country.”

The school system is so much different here than over there, because everything here is mostly online and you’ll need an electronic device to do your work most of the time. Over there they aren’t allowed to take phones or any kind of electronic devices to school. So it took time for me to get used to things.

I moved to Florida from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Moving from a whole different country to another, leaving everything behind wasn’t easy. It took time but eventually things got better. It was like starting a new chapter of my life. I moved here to Florida when I was 10. My dad has been here in Florida for over 25 years. There are times when I miss my country and wish that I could go back but now if I go back I’m afraid things won’t be the same anymore. I like it here now, I’m doing great in school, and it feels way better than it felt when I first got here.Bangladesh is a very beautiful country, it is a country of gorgeous scenery on the shore of the Bay of Bengal and many rivers. The Padma, Meghna, and Jamuna are the biggest rivers. There are various of flowers and fruits which have made the country attractive to all. Nowadays, people are cultivating flowers professionally.

Our county takes different colors with the help of various kinds of flowers. Bangladesh has some beautiful places like Sundarban, Cox’s Bazar and Kuakata Sea beaches, Chittagong Hill Tracks etc. these places have extra-ordinary beauties which attract both the tourist from home and abroad. From Kuakata one can enjoy both sunrise and sunset from the same place. Birds are playing an important role to make Bangladesh beautiful. There are various types of birds living in our country. And so many more beautiful things and places. Something that is really heartfelt about Bangladesh is that people of this country knows how to live happily and peacefully within poverty and national hazards. Bangladesh is considered as the gift of nature because of its natural beauties and resources. Therefore, the development of our country is increasing rapidly and we feel proud to be the inhabitant of this country. Even though I’m on the other side of the world; Bangladesh, my country, will forever have a special place in my heart.

Umma Chowdhury, Contributer

Umma is a 14-year-old sophomore at South Broward High School. She is passionate about writing and she took journalism because it seemed interesting to...