How BTS Saved Their Fans

Five+fans+sport+their+hoodies+at+Oakwood+18.++On+January+26%2C+fans+swarmed+the+theatre%2C+anxiously+awaiting+for+the+premier+of+

Five fans sport their hoodies at Oakwood 18. On January 26, fans swarmed the theatre, anxiously awaiting for the premier of

Rochelli Rodriguez, Editor

People all over the world have heard about the South Korean boy band, BTS. The seven-membered group has rapidly risen to international fame since winning their first Billboard award back in 2017 with their leader, Kim Namjoon. It was then that they gave a quote that none of their “ARMY” fans would ever forget.
  “Let’s fly with our beautiful wings in 2017 as well.”
It’s no secret that BTS has broken K-Pop’s biggest taboos with their music. From talking about mental illness to societies’ expectations, they have touched the hearts of teenage girls and boys worldwide. They are a band who not only loves themselves, but encourages their supporters to do the same. Fans have shared their stories of how BTS has changed their lives for the better. The stories are real, raw, and heartfelt.
“One day I discovered BTS and started listening to their songs. My thoughts during this time were, “Someone like me can never be loved. Someone like me can never have friends. Someone like me….”. Slowly I started changing. Their lyrics spoke of experiences, hardships, hard work, love and much more. I started working out while listening to their music, study a lot more, eat healthier. It wasn’t until last year that my shell broke. I managed to change the relationship with my parents. I became more social and active. As a fan, I know my limits. For someone who hasn’t received love, I did not want to be obsessed. I want to think practically and more realistically. There’s so many people suffering around the world who need help. BTS changed me. Each day that goes by and the more I listen to them, the more and more confident I feel,” says Hina Akram online.
Akram isn’t the only fan who’s shared her story. Lee Sami, a 16 year old, half-Korean, half-Afghan, also shared her experience online.
“I am a 16-year-old mixed race Korean girl. I’m half Afghan. I grew up in Daegu, the same area where Taehyung* and Yoongi* are from. Growing up I was faced with so many prejudices, I went to school and was verbally abused. I went home and was physically and mentally abused. One night, I came across BTS’s debut poster and I thought I’d check them out…To me, BTS was an escape. I could click on their videos and connect with them. I remember one day, I had a panic attack. I refused to go to school. Four days later, they made their debut. I felt touched that a group that had worked so hard to debut had spoken about dreams and youth, unlike every other artist at the time. BTS helped me realize what I wanted to do in life, which is to sing, and made me feel that I could do that whilst facing a mental illness because the boys had been so open about it…I’m thankful to them for helping me. For helping me find my dream, for giving me that motivation and cheering me up. I will forever love them for that.”
To the rest of the world, BTS might just be a boy band, but to their ARMY, they are so much more. They have saved their fans from self- harm, depression, and sends smiles to the faces of millions of people. BTS teaches their fans to accept everyone, despite their race, size, color, or religion. Acceptance is a key, which is something the world outside of the BTS fandom could learn from.

View Comments(1)
Donate to Bulldog Bark
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Broward High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

• Ask Nina

Ask Nina

• SBHS Gamers Amazed by New Gaming Record

Entertainment

SBHS Gamers Amazed by New Gaming Record

• Nominations and Records and Snubs, Oh My!

Entertainment

Nominations and Records and Snubs, Oh My!

• Ask Nina

Ask Nina

Ask Nina

• Ask Nina

Ask Nina

Ask Nina

• You Dont Want the Crumbs at Crumbls

Entertainment

You Don’t Want the Crumbs at Crumbl’s

• Entertainment

From Gods Lips to Your Ears

• All the seniors celebrate Kristopher arroyo home run at the kickball came.

Entertainment

SBHS Seniors Face Off Against Teachers in Kickball

• Ask Nina

Ask Nina

Ask Nina

• Ask Nina

Ask Nina

Ask Nina

Donate to Bulldog Bark
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

All Bulldog Bark Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• P

paulFeb 14, 2019 at 9:09 am

i love bts!!!!!

Reply
1
Activate Search
How BTS Saved Their Fans
Skip to toolbar