Students Training to Become Teachers

Grace Schell, Contributor

For the past two school years, the early childhood students have been training for this day. The day an official from Washington DC flies in to observe each student and see if they are worthy of receiving a CDA (Childcare Development Associates).  The count down has finally started, the students already have the dates scheduled. Tension in the classroom rises. “Part of me is excited that it’s almost over but the other part of me is freaking out,” said Catalina Fredrick, high school junior and CDA student.

Most of the students started the program their freshman year of high school and by the time they are juniors, they get certified. Students who are working to get their CDA, have goals of becoming a teacher. The CDA allows you to be able to work in a childcare center or preschool, and also pays above minimum wage. While a lot of the students are planning to become teachers, others are planning to have it as a part-time job or to pay through college.

To finish the program, students have to go through four class levels. Level one in Early Childhood Ed., focuses only on the basics of running a day care center, and to get five certifications from Nova University. With out these certificates, students can’t go to the next class levels. In the following year, the students get enrolled into level two and three. In this school year, students will be working inside South Broward High Schools’s  very own child care center, the Little Broward learning lab. The students will now become the children’s teachers, by taking care of them and creating daily fun lesson plans. “I think level two and three is the funnest level. I loved making my own lesson plans and spending time with the kids” said Nicole Luque, junior.

In this year, students have two early childhood class periods, which means they are in the day care center everyday. During the year, students receive two more certifications from Nova University and get CPR and First aid certified. In the next year, students get enrolled into level four. “Level four has been the hardest for me, cause you have to type a lot of work, however I think it will be worth it,” said Ely Maldonado, high school senior.

Throughout the year, students have to keep a large binder filled with essays, paperwork and lesson plans. By the time it’s January, it is time to start practicing in the day care center to prepare for when the official from Washington DC comes. Students are put in groups of three and these groups practice almost every day to make sure they get everything right. The students have to make sure they are able to control the children, teach properly and follow all of the conduct rules, with out any mistake. Even by just saying “good job” to the children too many times can get the student in trouble.

Apart from the CDA classes, students can join the Future Educators of America club. In FEA, students travel to several Broward County high schools to compete and to do rallies. In November, FEA students went to Florida International University, there, the students competed with other high schools and also toured the campus. “I’m looking forward to the spring rally, I can’t wait to compete” said Nicole Luque.

Students from FEA in Deerfield Beach high school in the annual winter rally. In the rally, students competed on who can make the best gift wrap. Rosie, (pictured left) is the president of South Broward high school’s FEA club. The group of students brought back several awards, including best scrapbook.

CDA students, including Ely Maldonado and Nicole Luque, pose with toys that have been donated to the FEA toy drive. The donated toys will be gifted to the less fortunate children.