Baby Steps: SBHS Lacrosse Team is Born

Michelle Kulas

Photo courtesy of Google under the Creative Commons License

Reyna Maya, Contributor

Face off. Check. Score. That’s what it takes to play a lacrosse game. It takes a whole lot more to start a lacrosse team. And that’s what South Broward High School athletic coaches, Walter Johnson and Mike Schunk, have been putting their time and effort into this year.

Being the first year having a lacrosse team, there were no formal tryouts. There were announcements made during the school day and anybody was welcome to show up and participate. Nine boys and only one girl, Shyanne Gray, showed up ready to play.

Even though there were not enough girls to make their own team, Gray decided to practice with the team anyway and has been putting in the same amount of work as any of the boys.

“Shyanne won’t be playing in games due to the amount of contact. Although, she has done as much work as any of the males on the team. She is a model of putting the effort to produce opportunity. She is preparing herself to play travel ball and on the girl’s team next year,” said Coach Schunk.

Both Coach Johnson and Coach Schunk believe that lacrosse is a sport that can bring great future opportunities to high school student athletes.

“We both coach lacrosse because it is a sport that provides an opportunity for students to get to college. Lacrosse provides an access to an Ivy League Education,” said Coach Johnson.

Starting a team from scratch is a challenge. South Broward administration has helped out the lacrosse team in providing equipment, tools, and many needed items to get the team started. Although the school provided the tools necessary to be successful, coaching a new team is still very strenuous, according to Coach Johnson.

“It is extremely difficult. The students have never played and coaching is made more difficult because they are unaware of the lingo and the skills necessary to be successful.”

The team practices every day after-school in order to prepare for their first game next Tuesday, February 19.

“We have a long way to go, but every play is giving our best effort. We are learning and growing. We are going to be competitive,” says sophomore player,  Bryan Cespedes.

Everyone in the Bulldog community is excited for lacrosse to take off as the school’s newest athletic addition. The players as well as the coaches and team supporters are ready to start the season that will introduce lacrosse to our school for (hopefully) many years.

“I am excited to be a part of this inaugural season. We are excited to have all Dawgs in attendance,” said Coach Schunk.