Key Club`s Haunted Trail

Daniel Mckenna, Contributor

Key Clubs from around Broward County Schools came together and created a Haunted Trail at Bob Roth’s New River Groves from October 19th-20th. Not only was South Broward at the event, but they were joined by University school, Western high School, and West Broward High School. The Trail was created to help raise money for UNICEF (The United Nations Children’s Fund) which promotes the rights and wellbeing of every child throughout 190 countries and territories.

Each person entering the trail paid five dollars which was donated to UNICEF. The theme of the trail was Fairy Tales gone wrong. Each school’s club created their own section of the trail with a unique theme connected to it. South Broward`s was Michael Meyers as students painted themselves with fake blood to show that Meyers was coming to kill them. Some students laid on the floor to show that Meyers has already killed them.

About 30 members from South Browards Key Club showed up to help set up. This gave them about 45 minutes to drench everyone with fake blood. Each school brought their own decorations to set up their section of the trail as each section had its own unique theme. Some of the decorations included spider webs and fake bats on trees. Haunting music was also played to scare the people walking through the trail. For example, the theme from the movie “Halloween” was played in South Broward`s section of the trail.

“It was very important for as many members for Key club to come out and help because it would help speed up the process of setting everything up,” Said Liam Waite, Key Club`s president.

Each member from South Broward wore a white tee shirt splashed with red paint to make people believe Michael Meyers was attacking and trying to kill us.  All the other schools were also preparing their trails for people to walk through with a goal of scaring people as much as they can.

People began to enter the trail at 6:30 pm and it was now time to scare people. South Broward students acted as people who were attacked by Michael Myers. When people entered South Broward`s part of the trail, students would jump out of nowhere and yell “Run, Michael is coming”! Some students fell on the ground as if they had been killed by  Myers, while others ran away as if Michael had attacked them. Students stood around the dead yelling “get up, wake up”.

“Scaring kids is what made it fun for me as I can have fun with my friends,” said Grayson Stoudt, a member of Key Club.

Volunteer Joseph Bradt, came to help out because he wanted to scare kids.

“People used to scare me all the time as a kid and I wanted to repay that to kids so I can see how they would react to scary things,” said Bradt.

Key Club had a fun experience creating the Trail while raising about 1000 dollars for UNICEF. Key Club hopes to do it again next year.