Making the Best of Distance Learning from Colombia

The wall that stares back. Located deep in rural Colombia, near the border of Barbosa, Santander stands a short wall with an eye painted onto it. Painted by local mural artist “Contrabo’’ who passed away sometime in 1994.

John Marin, Editor

Monday, October 4, 2020, I hopped on a plane and headed to Colombia, took advantage of virtual school, and explored the newfound culture and views around me. Virtual school has allowed me to travel and explore my horizons, something before restricted from a more demanding and less flexible schedule. My daily routine consisted of attending my standard classes (7:40 am-2:40 pm) and touring the both beautiful and distinct world around me. 

Waking up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee whilst looking out my window, at the picturesque mountainscape seemed like a dream that I didn’t want to wake up from. I’d put on my poncho and get ready for class. Detach myself from my surroundings and get transported to the world of online school.

During school hours, to my classmates and teacher, it seemed like I never left but little did they know I was in a completely different world that transformed my outlook on life. While I wasn’t scrambling to get my overdue assignments submitted, I was worried about having to get my overdue assignments submitted. But when I managed to relax, which was often due to how easy relaxation is to achieve in Colombia, I would explore and learn various life lessons from people and situations I encounter.

My most memorable experience was my time looking after my tree, Funny Monkey Tree. I found the tree behind my father’s property with a stuffed monkey hanging from one of its branches. Harmful mosses were overrunning the tree, so I took it upon myself to help it out and clean it up. The tree was finally able to breathe freely and is now growing more fruit than it did before.

I came back earlier this month and am still trying to process what this trip has taught me, not only about the world outside the U.S but about the new aspects of myself I have discovered. I know many students aren’t able to just go to another country, so I a grateful I was able to experience this, but for those who can, I urge them to take this opportunity and get culture-shocked somewhere and experience what is to travel and explore and still worry about the fact that it’s a school night.