The Basketball Story of JB

Demetrius Green, Contributor

Javon Broderick, is a Freshman at South Broward High dealing with a lot of situations. Plus the virus doesn’t make it any better. Javon has been playing basketball since 6th grade, and he has enjoyed it since then. Broderick made the 8th grade basketball team so he was so happy. But then something bad happened. The virus was moving closer and closer. But he still finished the season. He made it to the first round of the playoff but lost. Then the virus approached, and he stopped going to physical school. Broderick finished his 8th grade year and applied for South Broward.

Next, 9th grade started and he was happy to try out for the JV team at South Broward, but was cautious about the virus.

“My biggest concern is if I get the virus from another player and give it to my family without even knowing, I would rather know I got the virus and stay away from them,” he said.         

But he still tried out for the team and made it. He became a great defender for the team but still hadn’t won a game yet. Broderick didn’t even know there was going to be a season and had to train really hard, because he hadn’t played for a while. The virus messed everything up.

“I took not playing basketball as a motivation to work harder while everyone else just sitting at home doing things. I was in my backyard training and I have a basketball hoop outside my house,” Broderick said.       

And that’s why Broderick made the team he was training for. 

“I pushed myself to the ultimate limit. I even messed up my wrist before the season started,” he said. “I was so close to not playing but I still played with a hurt wrist. That’s probably what is holding me back cause we haven’t won a game yet.”