Biden’s Reopening of Schools and It’s Effects on Students

Patrick Semansky / Pool via Getty Images

Benjamin Mignola, Contributor

After the poets spoke and Lady Gaga sang, Joe Biden went into his office and signed 17 executive orders. One of those involved opening schools. As the 46th President of the United States of America, Joe Biden has been putting many plans into action. 

One of these plans of his is to re-open schools across America within the first 100 days of being in office. 

“I don’t think he should yet,” said SBHS freshman Emmy Grace. “I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

He first plans on preparing the administration/staff of these schools and the county school boards is giving them detailed plans and procedures on how to safely execute this plan.

By following said procedures, teachers and students alike will be able to return safely to somewhat of a normal school environment.

This will last until COVID-19 is dealt with and is no longer a major threat to public health and safety.

Some students might not find this favorable though, mainly due to the fact that COVID-19 might not be gone for over a year.

“Yeah, a lot of the time I feel like my assignments pile up and I’m not in a work environment so I’m less likely to do the work,” said Grace

Some students also lose their motivation to do their school work. There has also been worsening mental health, especially with not being able to socialize with friends as easily, or from the stress of not being able to do work due to a lack of motivation. But, the reopening of schools might be able to change that. 

Biden’s plan to reopen America’s schools is a good one indeed because it can improve the mindset and mood of student’s since they’ll be put into a proper working environment.

“Maybe. I’ll probably have the motivation to do work and learn,” said Giuliana Mignola, senior at SBHS.