SBHS Holds 3rd Annual Beautification Day

Student working to better the school, during previous beautification day in 2020.

Zoey Rodriguez, Contributor

On Saturday, February 5th, South Broward High School students will come together to work on the school to make it a better place. How? By making it more beautiful.

For the past three years, PTSO has organized a day for students to do landscaping on the school, making it a more beautiful environment for everyone.

Students rake beds in the courtyard, tear out invasive plants and shrubs and replace them with new, native plants. They are trying to turn the front entrance into an area full of Florida native plants.

“They’ve held up and lasted well, and provided a habitat for endangered species.” said Rachel Mazor, president of South Broward’s PTSO.

One species you can see flying around is the endangered Altea Butterfly, which is attracted to our school’s Coontie plants.

Natives also reduce the schools need for water, because they do not require as much, keeping South Broward environmentally friendly.

If this is something that you would like to participate in, you must sign up through the Band app. Only 100 students can come, service hours are available.