Helping the Homeless One Loop at a Time

New club teaching crocheting while helping homeless at the same time.

Ashley Sainthubert

SBHS sophomore Isabella Shamoun shows sophomore and junior club members how to perfect a chain loop.

Ashley Sainthubert, Editor

Usually, gray-haired grandmas in rocking chairs are the ones you see sitting in a group crocheting. But if you walk into Mrs. Mouzaffar’s science class on a Tuesday afternoon you would encounter high school students huddled in a group chatting away as they crocheted colorful squares. The students belong to a new club at school called Loops of Love. It’s the brainchild of SBHS junior Emily Shamoun, who started crocheting while in quarantine when COVID-19 was raging.

“I fell in love with the hobby. I find it to be relaxing and rewarding,” said Shamoun. “So, I thought others might enjoy it too.” 

Formed in April, the club focuses on teaching students the art of crocheting. Shamoun monitors members and teaches them how to perfect their loops and connect their chains.  It works in a sort of domino effect, as soon as one person masters it, they help others in the club learn new skills.

“The squares we make actually go to a charity called ‘Warm Up America,’” said club member SBHS junior David Betances.

Warm Up America is a non-profit organization founded by yarn shop owner Evie Rosen, who made blankets in her spare time for people at her local homeless shelter. As time  went on, she couldn’t knit enough blankets by herself, so she created a national network of knitters and crocheters to help her. 

Loops of Love was formed with the idea of making squares to send to Warm Up America. While quarantined president, Emily Shamoun, came across the organization.

I personally haven’t seen them and we’ll never get them physically. I’m happy to contribute to something good even if it’s in a small way,” said Isabella Shamoun, Emily’s sister and also a club member. 

Once members learn how to make perfect squares, they want to use the skills to make other things, such as scarfs, hats and sweaters. Betances said his main goal in the club is to make himself a bucket hat.

“After that I would probably use crocheting to make presents for family and or friends,” he said.

Figueroa crochets whenever he has the time to do so, and said that his main goal is to crochet a sweater. 

“I actually wanted to learn how to crochet before the club started, so I bought a book too.” he said.

During club meetings, members gather in a circle and explain a new skill in crocheting. Then everyone spends the time trying to practice while asking each other for help. 

Bentaces crochets in his free time, or whenever he’s bored.

“He says that it’s great because teachers usually don’t mind and are more amazed that someone is crocheting rather than being on their phone.“