Celebrities That Have Recovered from Depression/Anxiety.

Symptoms+Anxiety
Symptoms Anxiety

Symptoms Anxiety

Symptoms Anxiety

Aslin Santiago, Contributor

Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Jim Carrey, Kristen Bell, and Robin Williams. What do these celebrities have in common? They have all suffered from depression.

Depression  is a real illness and is more than just feeling “down.” It’s a serious illness caused by changes in brain chemistry. There are symptoms to having depression. The symptoms are: moodiness, hopelessness, delusions/hallucinating, attempts to harm self, tiredness, unexplained pains, etc. A lot of people around the world have depression and don’t even know it. This illness is the most common mental illness in the U.S. affecting 40 million adults in the United States. Children also suffer from this mental illness. It affects about 25.1% of children between the ages of 13 and 18 years old. Celebrities go through the mental illness and have recovered from depression/anxiety disorder. Who knows what’s going on in another person body?

Katy Perry, is a former Christian artist, Katy Perry rebranded herself as a larger-than-life pop star and rose to prominence in 2008, when she topped the pop charts with “I Kissed a Girl.” Katy Perry shared her struggles with depression during a 96-hour live stream on YouTube. Katy Perry had an emotional session with Siri Sat Nam Singh. Katy Perry said she opened up because she wanted her fans to see her true self. She stated “If people can see that I’m just like them, they can dream just as big.”

Lady Gaga is another pop star with the hit of her song “Paparazzi” and also “Poker Face.” Lady Gaga said she has dealt with both depression and anxiety her whole entire life. She isn’t ashamed to admit that she takes medication for it. She had an interview with the Billboard magazine, Lady Gaga thinks it is important for people to talk about their mental health. She says, “If we share our stories and stick together, we’re stronger.”

Jim Carrey, the man behind some of the craziest characters on screen, from the Grinch to Ace Ventura, Jim says he had some dark days. He had opened up about taking antidepressants and leads a very clean, spiritual life. He says, “I’m very serious about alcohol, no drugs. Life is too beautiful.”

Kristen Bell, she is a known well actress, she played the role of Anna in the movie, Frozen. Kristen Bell says she’s had depression since she was in college. In the essay for the website Motto, Bell states “There’s nothing weak about struggling with mental illness.”

Robin Williams, in 2014, committed suicide and millions were shocked, but the Academy Award-winning actor/comedian had a history of depression, substance and alcohol abuse. Robin had been diagnose with Parkinson’s and had a form of dementia. In 2006, he described his highs and lows to NPR’s Terry Gross. “Do I perform sometimes in a manic style? Yes. Am I manic all the time? No. Do I get sad? Oh yeah. Does it hit me hard? Oh yeah.”

This definitely shows that every person that goes through this kind of illness are the same, we are all human, we all go through similar things. Not everyone goes through the same exact thing, but we all go through something. If you don’t go through something, you must really be cold hearted and that’s very sad.

Aslin Santiago, Contributor

Meet Aslin Santiago, she’s a sophomore here at South Broward High School. Journalism interests her because she likes interviewing people, and moving around instead of being stuck in one spot all class. She’s super passionate about volleyball, and her greatest strength academically is science, her greatest weakness is math. When she’s not in school she likes going to the library. Her favorite types of music are hip-hop and Spanish music. She doesn’t like 70’s old school music and country music. Her favorite movie is “Moana” and dogs are her favorite animal.

34 Comments

34 Responses to “Celebrities That Have Recovered from Depression/Anxiety.”

1. chase hall on February 8th, 2018 10:29 am

i think this article is great,very well written.

2. jansy Laureano on February 8th, 2018 10:35 am

Despite being famous, they’re still human and deserve to be treated like so. IF someone you love or know is hurting, you should be there for them so they never feel alone. Yet, as Kristen bell says, “There’s nothing weak about struggling with mental illness.” So those with mental struggles should find someone they’re comfortable with to ask for help. May people like like Kim Jonghyun rest in piece and those who feel the same way he did, be able to find someone to help them.

3. PAULO GUERRA on February 8th, 2018 10:35 am

1. Student who voted no on the PDA poll are just mad and upset that they don’t have a significant other to do that cause that stuff is super cute and means a lot to those two.
    2. Depression is a serious illness, I have had many people close to me suffer and loose the fight against it its important to listen to others opinions and feelings because it means a lot to them. They should be helped in anyway possible even its just listening or getting involved in their actions I hope nobody has to suffer and everything goes well for all of you someone in the world cares no matter what.
    Good job Aslin!

4. javier cerezo on February 8th, 2018 10:37 am

I like your summary its nice

5. Sage Singh on February 8th, 2018 10:43 am

Great Job!!! On the article. I loved it and it was the perfect topic because, other than celebrities people have or had gone through Depression/Anxiety so most people who read this article can read this and relate to it and another thing most people such as my self didn’t know that these celebrities or most of them suffer from Depression/Anxiety.

6. santana bigley on February 8th, 2018 1:51 pm

this was very informative , and great writing skills

7. Alon on February 8th, 2018 2:04 pm

They have need to get some serious help out to fix these.

8. Kevin Perez on February 8th, 2018 2:08 pm

This article expresses that despite whether your a celebrity or not we are still people that go through difficult times and we all need just a little help.

9. Kellie Christnagel on February 8th, 2018 2:35 pm

I did not know that some of the celebrities spoken about had depression… you can never know just by looking at someone, because some people are just trying to hide it. I liked reading this because I learned something new about the people we see everyday.

10. Ms. Kelly on February 8th, 2018 9:08 pm

This is very well written! Thank you for taking the time to research and share your information about famous people who have struggled with mental illness. Your article shows that anyone can suffer from mental illness and it should NOT be stigmatizing. The more we learn about the importance of our mental health the sooner we can figure out a way to help ourselves find inner peace.

11. Erick marrero on February 9th, 2018 11:22 am

This article is right in everyway in my eyes since I go through problems myself.

12. Ricardo garcia on February 9th, 2018 11:23 am

Ok cool. I think that the amount of people with depression has increased tremendously because of how the internet has facilitated the dissemination of postmodernist ideals to the youth, which entails a very nihilistic point of view and if life is meaningless you get sad.

13. Kimanibraimbridge on February 9th, 2018 11:27 am

This article has explain what most celebrities that have recovered from depression and anxiety.

14. Julieta on February 9th, 2018 11:28 am

Depression and anxiety are a serious illness people should start paying more attention to. I personally have seen people that were depressed and I could have understood they needed help. I think we’re supposed to show people that we are hear for them and hurting themselves is not the answer.

15. Creighton on February 9th, 2018 11:31 am

I too have gone through a state of depression during the course of 2017 about my family and loved ones. I’m sorry for what you must have went through Aslin. But I can empathize with you. February of 2017 I had to make a grave and make a profound choice to leave my mother’s presence due to horrid events that happened in the past. For the whole year me and my father have had to suppress this problem with court condones and restrictions. Everyday I would be in termoilbto see her sad, then chaotic, then apologetic. Her sporadic emotions are from the medication she used and wine. One of the reasons I left her. I still haven’t seen her in over a year, and I still cannot make up my mid over it. It is challenging to fight her, and suffering the loss of loved ones over the course of the year. My grand parents, my best friend, and recently my uncle. These events have personally scarred me, but they have made me who I am, and I understand how that feels.

16. Jason Manrique on February 9th, 2018 11:39 am

This article gave details about celebrities that have depression and anxiety.

17. Richard on February 9th, 2018 11:43 am

It’s good when you hear about famous people problems it shows that everyone is the same in a way and everyone goes throughs problems and no one is ranked higher than another.

18. Ayanna Torres on February 9th, 2018 12:12 pm

Every person that goes through this kind of illness is the same. We are all human, and we all go through similar things

19. Zacharie Francois on February 9th, 2018 12:16 pm

Depression is a very serious illness, so we should not judge a book by its cover. We do not know everybody’s backstory, and we do not know when we can push somebody pass their limit.

20. Zaryha on February 9th, 2018 2:20 pm

I have went through depression. Not to the point that I want to kill myself because I’m thinking about other people who care about me. I don’t want to lose them, and they probably don’t want to lose me. I had stray thoughts, and I would also have a pain in my heart. I’m the type of person whose feelings get hurt a lot.

21. Naiya Clarke on February 9th, 2018 2:25 pm

I am very appreciative of the fact that people with such a huge platform are speaking about mental illness and eliminating the stigma. More people than most think they are suffering with a mental illness in some form. Coping with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety myself, I think conversations that are truly focused on the stuff we don’t want to talk about is are critical for change. Celebrities sharing their stories will hopefully open a door of understanding in our society.

22. kyla on February 9th, 2018 2:27 pm

I think this article is well needed. In today’s society teenagers don’t just look up to family members, but more so look up to celebrities! This article shows that even our inspirations have gone through the highs and the lows, so it is really great that we get to see that we are not alone in whatever we go through. We all battle demons, and we are all imperfect. The money and the fame doesn’t make you happy, and we can clearly see this! It is what’s inside, and the things that go on around us that shape us. It’s okay not to be okay.

23. Cristian Suarez on February 9th, 2018 2:28 pm

There should be more awareness for depression.

24. Daniel on February 9th, 2018 2:30 pm

Depression is very bad these days especially for kids.

25. Neftali Soler on February 9th, 2018 2:30 pm

Depression should not be underestimated. It is a very serious condition and many teenagers now at days go through a lot of depression due to school problems, family, work, or hazardous friends that associate themselves with. Depression can lead to negativity, and its hard to back out, you need to surround yourself with positive people and never let anything bring you down.

26. Sasha Staszewski on February 12th, 2018 7:53 am

I can’t believe so many pop artists suffered from depression.

27. Xavia Grant on February 12th, 2018 7:55 am

This will make other people more likely to talk about their problems.

28. Laura on February 12th, 2018 7:55 am

A lot of people suffer from depression, and I’m glad that we have a chance to talk about it on our school newspaper.

29. jeffery greene on February 12th, 2018 7:56 am

Depression is something that we cannot take lightly. We need to help anyone who is suffering from depression.

30. Alyssa on February 12th, 2018 7:57 am

Depression is a serious topic, and this article shows that the illness affects everyone, even if they are hiding the illness for the sake of the media..

31. Jose Mendoza on February 12th, 2018 8:00 am

We’re facing a big problem with depression, however, some people still thinking that this is something that people should control by them self without any problem, but the reality is that if you are having big deals that can drive you crazy you should look for professional help because with the days the consequences can destroy you and make you a depressive person.

32. Trinity march on February 12th, 2018 8:00 am

Who would’ve known that depression lurks inside these celebrities.

33. Olivia baret on February 12th, 2018 8:04 am

I understand that celetbrites go through many things because of publicity and much more .

34. Quinecea Bullard on February 26th, 2018 12:09 pm

I feel like we should have more stories about depression because sometimes takes it as a joke.

• Celebrities That Have Recovered from Depression/Anxiety.

News

Hurricane Michael

News

Michelle Obama’s Visit to Miami to Get Out The Vote

News

Should Judge Kanavaugh be confirmed to the Supreme Court?

News

Hurricane Florence

News

SBHS’s New Tennis Court

News

Seven Months of Noisy Generators

News

Florida Kids Sue State over Climate Change

News

Chemical Attacks In Syria

News

Gradbash 2k18

News

Private Prisons