Feeding South Florida

January 10, 2023

South+Broward+Alumnis+and+Parents+gather+around+former+South+Broward+Student+Shane+McVeys+Memorial+photo.+

South Broward Alumni’s and Parents gather around former South Broward Student Shane McVey’s Memorial photo.

Feeding South Florida is the largest, most efficient food bank serving Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties. More than 98% of all donations are put back into the community.

“Through innovative direct-service programs and a network of nonprofit partner agencies, Feeding South Florida distributed nearly 176 million pounds of food (146 million meals) last year to over 1.4 million individuals.”

Feeding South Florida’s main mission is to end hunger in South Florida by providing immediate access to nutritious food, leading hunger and poverty advocacy efforts and transforming lives through innovative programming and education.

The program that caught the attention of many individuals is the Memorial Giving. With memorial giving, you can pay tribute to a friend or loved one with a gift of service. By honoring this tribute, you can invite people to join in by volunteering to work within the walls of Feeding South Florida.

Recently one of the many South Broward families celebrated and hosted a “Memorial Giving” at Feeding South Florida for former student, Senior Shane McVey who unfortunately passed away in a tragic motorcycle accident on December 22nd, 2020.

Shane’s parents wanted to celebrate and share his life each year on the day of his passing by doing the things he loved the most.  Giving to others in need was one of the many things he enjoyed the most.

By using the Memorial Giving program through Feeding South Florida they were able to invite friends and family to volunteer at Feeding South Florida. Shane’s parents helped to package, sort and load food for people in need while honoring Shane.

“Shane was a wonderful son, and I’m happy to be able set up a Memorial here at Feeding South Florida and inviting all of his friends and family to help volunteer to do what he loved to do best, said Gary McVey Father of Shane McVey.”