Print vs. Online

Jordan Long, Contributor

Swiping and tapping away on our phones is just the way we roll nowadays. But some people still like to read their books and papers the old fashion. The tactical way.

SBHS sophomore Melina Dimitropoulos still prefers to grab a book. “When it comes to reading books,I prefer flipping page to page.”  When reading print format  “it clicks better with me” it helps Dimitropoulos retain the information she read better.

Your grasp on what you are reading tends to be much stronger when you read the print format of a book and the memory of what you read stays longer with you.

But when you see that a book was well loved and used the creased spines, the bent pages, the slightest tares give a sort of comfort that an electronic book does not give.

According to the Pew Research Center 65% of americas read books in print. The other 28% and 14% of the people read in ebook and audiobook format.

The variety of devices to read books on has grown tremendously, and now readers aren’t bound to just one format to read from.

A main reason why people tend to read online is because it’s easy to access reading materials or anything from anywhere. It’s easy of carry around with you when you’re reading material in on your electronic device.

For example Erick Marrero, freshman at SBHS enjoys spending his free time reading on his phone. “It’s easier to search for the things I want to read.” said Marrero.

As well as “ for aspiring writers it’s where they mainly post and publish their stories for everyone to read.” It is also a cheaper alternative.

“ So id say I do enjoy read on my phone more than with a physical copy of a book it has more things to choose from.” Marrero said.