Class Rank- Does it Matter?

George Hinkofer, Editor

Class rank is a comparison of student’s academic performance to that of other students in their graduating class. It allows students to receive prestigious titles such as valedictorian and salutatorian at graduation, but is it pivotal to future success?

Certain colleges take into account a student’s class rank when sifting through applicants. A higher class rank could potentially increase the likelihood of admission.

Class rank also opens the door to a multitude of scholarship opportunities. Like colleges, scholarship committees take into account class rank when granting them as well.

Sophomore Timofei Harbacheuski is striving to be valedictorian in his graduating class.

“Class rank gives me motivation to set academic goals for myself. I’m currently ranked 1st out of 635 and I hope that by graduating as valedictorian, I’ll be able to be accepted into the university of my choice.”

While there are clear benefits to maintaining a high class rank, it is not a necessity that students do so.

Sophomore Maria Garcia believes that class rank does not matter as much as others say it does.

“Class rank is just a number to me. I’m currently ranked 147th out of 635 but my grades are above average. While grades are important, I also believe that factors such as the amount of service hours someone has obtained carries the same weight.”

Many colleges look at more than class rank when selecting applicants. Colleges are often searching for well-rounded individuals. Extracurricular activities and leadership positions are arguably equally as important.

In fact, the majority of schools have stopped recording class ranking altogether. This is due to the lack of consistency in determining superior students across schools, posing a challenge to colleges when selecting applicants.