Avengers Beat Star Wars on Opening Weekend

Katlyn Porfiris, Multi-Media

The long awaited movie, ‘Avengers: Infinity War,’ was finally released April 27th. The following movie from the previous sequel, “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” just broke the Box Office record that ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens,’ previously held.

The movie holds the record at $250 million from its opening weekend, when ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens,’ held it at $248 million in 2015.

The new release also wins top spot at biggest worldwide opening, reeling in, including late Thursday night premieres, $630 million in just four days; about $73,611 a minute.

There are only six films that go over the $200 million mark, including ‘Avengers’ and ‘Black Panther.’ The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) also hold six spots in the Top 10 biggest domestic openings ever: all three Avengers movies, its recent ‘Black Panther,’ ‘Captain America: Civil War,’ and going all the way back to 2013 with ‘Iron Man 3.’

Throughout the crying, speechless and rage that some fans executed while leaving the theater, audiences still preach the movie with a score of 93%, beating Rotten Tomatoes score of 84%; though still not beating ‘The Force Awakens,’ with a score of 93% and audience score of 88%.

‘Infinity War’ will most likely lose its ray of glory when Disney’s ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ comes out in late May. Yet, it will probably continue to dominate any other movie released before then.

‘The Force Awakens’ still remains the highest-grossing film in domestic box office history with over $900 million. But we will wait and see when ‘Infinity War’ will finally overtake ‘Black Panther,’ who comes in at number three with $688 million, with its next untitled movie, that will be released in May of 2019.

Katlyn Porfiris, Contributor

Katlyn Porfiris is a 14- year-old freshman at South Broward Highschool. She joined journalism because she likes writing and photography. Photography is one of the things she is most passionate about. One of her greatest strengths academically is Language Arts. On the other hand science is her weakness in school. On a daily basis she uses social media. A celebrity she thins is cool is the hilarious comedian/actress Melissa Mccarthy.

When Katlyn is not in school she spends her time sleeping and listening to Alternative music. She considers herself to be a dog meaning she is less independent .When it comes to food she enjoys devouring cheese sticks. One of Katlyn’s biggest fears a scaly slithery snake, but her favorite animal is a fun-loving otter. In a world where super powers really existed she wishes she could stop time. After her time in school she aspires to be a dancer and to travel to places such as London, New York, and Hawaii.