A Look into Color Guard

Some of the members on Color Guard

Ariana Clement, Contributor

South Broward’s Color guard is a group of girls that help interpret the music of the marching band for the audience by wearing eye catching costumes and dancing with flags along the beat of the music being played by the marching band, all synchronized as one.

While the team usually varies from freshmen to seniors, this year’s Color Guard is comprised of mostly sophomores and freshmen. Color guard is typically only found in high schools. Some middle schools do have it, although it is not common.

You can see them performing during a home football game on the sidelines next to the marching band on the bleachers. Sometimes they even perform during halftime.

In order to get their routines right, the team members have long practice hours. Sophmore Hailey Carter, who’s been a member of the Color Guard team for two years, says,”Color Guard is not an easy thing to do it takes a lot of practice and dedication.”

Practice usually runs for 3 to 4 hours after school Monday-Thursday. They perform at the home games on Thursdays or Fridays. Whenever there isn’t a home game you can find them after school outside on the field practicing for their next performance or competition. A practice session consists of running laps around the track, stretching, and then the majority of the time practicing their routines to make sure they’re all synchronized and the performance looks as good as it possibly can.

At various times throughout the year the Color Guard team enters local competitions. The most recent competition they went to was the MPA competition and they placed Superior.

But the girls on Color Guard do not mind staying after school or going on the weekends to practice because they all share this unbreakable bond with each other they say is “like we’re all one big family.” The members on the team keep this bond so strong because they try to do group activities out of school like going to the movies, the mall, or even the beach. Considering that they have to spend so much time together it is important that they all get along and have a positive bond with each other.

There are 2 groups of Color Guard here at South Broward, one group that connects with the band and another group that connects with Junior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps (JROTC) but they both correlate in the same way.

If you’re thinking about joining Color Guard next year, you should. Tryouts are usually in the beginning of the school year and it will be a good opportunity to make new friends and build a strong bond with them, but you also have to be willing to dedicate some of your time and energy into the practices and performances because it’s not easy.