Colin Kaepernick

Colin+Kaepernick

Avril Martinez, Editor

The Colin Kaepernick controversy took a major twist last month when Nike chose him as their spoke person. This ad was referenced towards a lawsuit Kaepernick has against the NFL. The NFL “bad boy” birthed a movement by kneeling during the national anthem to honor black victims of police violence, is now featured in an ad. In this ad, Colin Kaepernick said “Belief is something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”Many critics have said that Kaepernick has not only disrespected the flag, but also the country.

Here at South Broward High School, the reaction of students has been varied. Many students have different points of views and don’t agree with each other. Many people think that’s it’s good that Kaepernick kneeled down while others disagree.

One question asked was “ What do you think about Colin Kaepernick being the face of Nike?” they replied, Kaepernick being the face of Nike is a good thing. People believe that what was quoted in the ad by Kaepernick is something that is encouraging others to take big risks no matter the consequences. Another question that was asked was “ what are your thoughts on racial injustice?” several folks acknowledge that racial injustice is unfair and is something that affects many people’s lives on an everyday basis. The third question asked was “ What are your thoughts on people burning Nike products?” and many people have responded that people believe that they shouldn’t be burning their products because they are not harming Nike.

Recently Nike has been lowering prices due to people burning most of their products. One thing that was asked based off of this was what are their opinions on this? One person said and I quote, “ No, I think that Nike lowering their prices was unnecessary and uncalled, just because of an ad that is trying to support a movement for a person who is fighting for their rights.’’ Another question that was asked was “ Who do you think is Nike’s intended audience for this ad?” and many people can agree that this ad was intended mainly for our cops and government to try and send out a message to stop killing people of color. Various people can also agree that when they first saw Kaepernick as the face of Nike they thought it was a good way to impact the entire United States of America. The last and final question I asked was, “what do you think has been the publics initial reaction to the partnership so far?” and once again many can agree that several citizens have gone overboard and have gotten “salty” about the whole thing.

In conclusion, Colin Kaepernick’s movement was very moving to many people. Several people believe are on Kaepernick’s side for standing up for his own rights.