Jonesing for Jones

Jones beat Moore by one percent!

Jones beat Moore by one percent!

Jones beat Moore by one percent!

Madelynn Vega, Contributor

Jones beat Moore by one percent!

The breaking news for Alabama was shocking. Doug Jones, became the first Democrat in 27 years to run and win a seat in the U.S. Senate. It put many people at ease and brought some joy, as well. Alabama feared for Roy Moore wining the seat, especially due to the recent allegations against him sexually abusing teens. Jones was overwhelmed with happiness once he won because even he thought he wouldn’t win. After his winning was announced he said “This entire race has been about dignity and respect. This campaign has been about the rule of law,” he said. “This campaign has been about common courtesy and decency and making sure everyone in this state, regardless of which ZIP code you live in, is going to get a fair shake in life.” 

Roy Moore had been accused of sexually abusing teens more than once and I’m sure after that you would be scared to give Moore any type of power in government. Due to this man and his horrifying ways, it brought some of the people of Alabama together. Jones had everyone on his side, doing everything they could to put him where he belonged. Thirty percent of the electorate were African Americans and the exit poll showed 96% of African Americans voted.  Without the African Americans that voted for him he wouldn’t have won the election and Moore would’ve put risk to Alabama, but most

people weren’t going to let that happen.  

Doug Jones wants to help his state and do for the people what Moore won’t. Jones wants to help the public by making sure the rich doesn’t get richer by other people and now that he’s the leader I believe he will do well for his state and I’m sure all the people that voted for him have a large amount of faith in him.  

Madelynn Vega, Contributor

This is Madelynn Vega, she is a senior at SBHS. Madelynn enjoys writing and dancing. She works to support her family and herself. The three places that she could visit is Hawaii, the Bahamas, and Paris. She likes R&B music and dislikes country music. She prefers dogs and her favorite colors are blue and black. Madelynn hopes to be a journalist in 10 years.