Immigration Rights in the U.S

Jasmin Suarez, Editor

The United States is packed with immigrants, especially illegal immigrants. Legal immigrants to the United States now are at their highest level ever, at just over 37,000,000. Illegal immigrants are not allowed to have a job, however some still do. Some may argue that illegal immigrants shouldn’t be in this country, I believe that they help this country grow and deserve to stay here.

With a population of  325.7 million, 6.2 million are mexican, 268,000 are Chinese, and 2.1 million of other countries. People leave their families and friends to come to the United States for a better life. They have to learn a whole new language and work hard to support their families, but what happens? They get told that they can’t stay here. Why though? They are trying to leave their poor countries to give their children a better life than what they had. So why can’t the United States just let them stay? They are constructing our buildings, streets, highways, railroads, etc. They deserve the same rights as every other citizen.

One of the reasons immigrants can’t stay is because “they are dangerous” or “they are a threat to this country”. What makes people think American citizens are safer? Nikolas Cruz, the Stoneman Douglas massive shooter was born and raised in Margate, Florida. Stephen Paddock, known as killing 58 people and leaving 489 wounded was born in Clinton, Iowa. Lastly, Adam Lanza was the shooter of the Sandy Hook catastrophe. He was born in Kingston, New Hampshire. Why is it that most massacres are caused by American citizens? Are immigrants really the “dangerous ones”?

In conclusion, the reason our country is as strong as it is today is because of our immigrants who help do our buildings and streets. They bring more money to the United States. They help out our country in so many ways to support their families and they deserve more rights.

Jasmin Suarez, Contributer

Meet Jasmin Suarez, a ninth grader at South Broward High School. Jasmin aspires to be an actor, but her other option would be to become a real- estate...