New Security Rules Cause Controversy Throughout Broward Schools

Bulldog Bark File

South Broward Students protesting outside of their school days after the MSD shooting.

Elena Key, Editor

Mandatory IDs. Single point entry. Mandatory hall passes wherever you go. All gates and doors locked. No you’re not in jail, you’re at school.

Last year on Valentine’s Day, seventeen lives were lost at Marjory Stoneman Douglas due to an act of gun violence. Ever since then, gun safety and ways to prevent bloodshed has been a major issue. But with the gridlock over gun control, the school board has done the only thing it could do- tighten security.

Students, such as MSD junior, Thais Guerra thinks the new restrictions have gone too far, “Our school is not an airport, it is not a jail, we cannot have metal detectors.”

In order to get into a Broward County school, students and teachers must have IDs at all times. If students fail to do so they face consequences such as; fines, losing after schools privileges to clubs and activities, detentions and referrals.

Jesnaya Ortiz, a sophomore at South Broward High School, thinks that the restrictions aren’t doing what they’re suppose to do, “[This] is pretty much useless because once you’re inside the building nobody really checks” said Ortiz.

But administration on campus has a different view such as School Police Officer Lumpkins strongly believes that IDs are an effective protocol in a time of crisis.

“How am I supposed to identify students versus the bad guy on campus [Without IDs,” said Lumpkins.

Last year after the shooting, for a short time MSD students were forced to wear clear book bags to school in order to prevent anyone from coming in with a weapon to school. But students opinions don’t match the reasoning for the rules.

“I’m so glad that’s not in place, many girls did not want to carry their menstrual products and stuff,” said Guerra.

Along with protocols in schools, there have been laws placed to avoid school shootings from the outside.  

The Marjory Stoneman Act was passed on March 9 of 2018. It includes multiple points regarding mental health awareness, firearm safety, school safety, and funding for causes relating to gun control.

One of the key points was the option to arm teachers in order to defend themselves against an attacker.

David Hogg, a former student at MSD and current gun control activist, spoke his mind in saying “Arming teachers, that all already underpaid, even with the best training their accuracy is 30%,” said Hogg.

Along with giving teachers a greater responsibility with many in certain aspects, with the instability of teachers reactions to a day to day situation comes to play.

“How would they know which staff have guns without hurting them in finding the bad guys? What if a teacher goes crazy and decides to start shooting?” said Guerra.

Although many schools have been enforcing frequent drills, many still have their speculations.

One of the most effective methods is the actions that students take themselves. Such as; creating the #neveragain movement, promoting awareness of the issue on all social media platforms, protests, school walkout.

“To make the movement more successful it is on one person,” said Hogg.

Even though drills and safety policies are enforced, no one knows how they will react if the situation were to come.

“There is no 100% foolproof method,” said Lumpkins.

But, with the persistence of many for gun control, schools could be safe again.

“Gun violence is a disease and it can be cured,” said Hogg.