Class of COVID-21

Senior class of 2021 adjusts with the new protocols of their graduation ceremony.

No social distancing needed!

Photo taken at graduation of 2019.

Olivia Colabella, Contributer

One of the greatest events to look forward to as a high school student is graduation. This year, it’s different for the class of 2021. Each student will be given only two tickets.

Juan Galeano, 18, is a senior at South Broward High School. Galeano is a part of the graduating class of 2021 and his biggest challenge is attempting to have his family of six all make it to his graduation ceremony. The challenging part is only being granted two tickets.

All of Galeanos’ three brothers have had graduation where the majority of the family can attend, he just wants to try and recreate the same experience. 

“I’m a bit upset at the fact that I won’t be able to have the same experience my brothers did, but at least we all got to go to one of our graduations together,” said Galeano.

Aside from Galeanos’ entire family not being able to attend. He also feels that two tickets in general is a bit scarce.

“I feel like having a limit is somewhat understandable, but at the same time it is a big event so they should make the graduation in a place that can accommodate everyone’s families and still remain socially distanced,” said Galeano.

Valentina Nazzar is also a senior at South Broward High School who is searching for spare tickets to have more of her extended family to attend graduation.

“I want to be able to invite some of my family from out of the country to see me graduate,” said Nazzar.

Like most seniors, Nazzar is understanding of the fact that social distancing and limiting guests is important, but she wishes that it could be different.

Social media has a big impact on communicating about the buying and selling of graduation tickets. 

“Almost everyone in high school has some form of social media account so there is always a way for students to find out about things like this,” said Nazzar.

The vast majority of seniors are excited that they get to have a graduation ceremony this year, but they are scrambling to find ways to have more than two people of their choosing to attend.

Social media is allowing students to communicate and find other students who are either in need of a ticket or are willing to give up their tickets.

Marco Stevens, 18, is a senior at South Broward and is a part of the graduating class of 2021. Stevens has other plans for graduating this year. Rather than looking for extra tickets to buy, Stevens is offering up his tickets on social media.

“I didn’t think we were even going to get a graduation so my family and I made out-of-state plans already,” said Stevens.

Many seniors this year sat in the void because no one really knew if they were getting graduation or a prom. Some, like Stevens, made other arrangements which leads to him being able to sell his tickets to a senior in need.

Stevens is selling his tickets because he won’t be putting them to use and he wants other seniors to have the opportunity to invite more people. 

“I know my two tickets won’t make a big difference but at least someone will be able to put them to good use,” said Stevens.

Stevens has been using social media platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat to talk shop and discuss prices with seniors about his graduation tickets.

“I don’t mind not being able to attend graduation, as long as my tickets don’t go to waste. Not to mention I’m also making a little bit of side money which is always great,” said Stevens with a laugh.