SBHS teacher Ms. Palmer

SBHS English Teacher Talks About School Saftey

The impact of gun violence is taking over the world. Shootings have continuously made headlines in just the first few months of the year. There have been at least 13 school shootings so far this year, including a recent incident in Nashville, Tennessee, on March 27 when three staff members were shot and killed at the Covenant School, a Christian school for students in preschool through sixth grade.

The widespread nature of gun violence means that it is not uncommon to meet someone who has been affected. In the aftermath of the deadly shooting at a high school in Parkland, FL Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018.

A majority of high school teens may be somewhat worried about the possibility of a shooting happening at their school. While 66% of students feel safe in their classes, only 59% say they feel safe at school in general.

“I’m not afraid to attend school. It’s not an issue. I feel safer here in South Broward,” said SBHS English teacher, Catherine Palmer. “On the other hand, I feel as if most students don’t feel safe at school.”

Every month at SBHS, the school practices multiple drills. For example, lockdown drills, secure drills, fire drills, and even tornado drills.

Lockdown drills are specific safety drills to prepare students and staff to achieve maximum safety in the event of an internal threat such as an intruder in the building or on campus or an external threat, including community violence.

These drills prepare us students and staff to respond in the event of a lockdown by teaching and practicing actions to stay safe and quiet in classrooms and other parts of the school.

“I don’t think practicing these drills every month helps, It’s decentralized. It causes too much stress,” said Palmer.  

Bulldog Bark • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to Bulldog Bark
$0
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All Bulldog Bark Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *