After Winning District Championship, SBHS Boys Volleyball Head to State Playoffs

+Senior%2C+Oshane+Farquharson+%2810%29%2C+leaps+high+into+the+air+and+prepares+to+hit+the+oncoming+ball.

Bryannah Azim

Senior, Oshane Farquharson (10), leaps high into the air and prepares to hit the oncoming ball.

For the past three years, it’s been an on-and-off again relationship between the SBHS Boys Volleyball team and the State Championship. This year, it’s on.

This Friday, the Bulldogs take on the Miami Senior High School Stingrays at Archbishop McCarthy at 5:30 p.m., hoping to earn a spot in the semifinals of the state tournament. Coach Leonel Jimenez says Miami Senior has a lot of talent, but feels his team can win tomorrow if they play their best.

“We have already played this team about three weeks ago and we didn’t play to our full potential against them,” said Jimenez. “We are looking forward for a rematch of that game.”

And the proof has been in the pudding, as evidenced by their climb up the playoff ladder.

On May 10th, the Bulldogs secured their place in the playoffs with a resounding win against Dr. Michael M. Krop High School 3-0 with scores of 25-22, 25-17, and 25-17.

Before that on May 4th, in a surprise victory, South Broward squeezed out a victory against Flanagan High School in a close game with scores of 27-25 25-19, and 25-18.

But, you can’t make it to finals until you win the district title. And that’s just what South Broward High School did in a near landslide victory against Chaminade High School. The Bulldogs put away the Lions by scores of 25-2, 23-13, and 17-14. Each play in the matches captured the awe of those watching in the bleachers.

The game was kickstarted when Chaminade got the first serve, and once the ball went up the court instantly blew up with players from both sides of the net jumping to deflect the ball to the floor of the opposing team.

From the get-go, the Bulldogs poured on the pressure on the Lions with overwhelmingly strong serves coming from Colton Bueter, who contributed many points for South Broward. In the end of the first match going into the favor of South Broward with a score of 25-2.

Although the pace didn’t slow in the second match,  Chaminade was able to find their footing against South Broward. They managed to keep the score relatively tight and even took on a lead at times. But in the end, passes and spikes from SBHS players Oshane Farquharson and Jonathan Hurst allowed the Bulldogs to put match two under their belt, with a score of 23-13.

“We pretty much played like a family. We’re all a collective. We’re all like a brotherhood,” said SBHS junior Jonathan Hardaway.

Tension grew in the third match, as the crowd wondered  whether or not Chaminade would be able to catch up. Cracks in SBHS’s offensive wall started to show in the third match, as serving balls were sent out of bounds. But the Bulldogs didn’t show a single sign of their teamwork falling apart, and after a couple of back and forths between the two skillful teams, the game closed at a 25-12 score. The boys gathered together for a group hug and to receive their trophy.

Now, the Bulldogs have set their site on defeating the Stingrays to secure a spot in the semifinals.

“If this team remembers to go all out and play for each other they can accomplish a lot,” said Jimenez.