Senioritis Hits Harder Than usual With Online Learning

Elizabeth Ramotar, Contributor

Getting a case of senioritis is normal. As the year ends, high school seniors just start dropping off and not coming to school.

But, since the pandemic has forced everyone online, this year most seniors are particularly unmotivated. Jaida Almonte is a senior at South Broward High School and struggles to find the motivation for school.

“Honestly I feel like the reason for my absence is due to the lack of motivation that I have to wake up early and do my work.” said Jaida Almonte.

She says the only thing holding her back from having perfect attendance is herself. Almonte feels that if school was still in person, she would be more motivated. 

“I would like to improve my attendance so I will be eligible to attend most senior activities. As of today, I’ve only missed five days of school.” she said. 

Usually a handful of seniors start to fall off and not attend their classes. 

“That’s why we have incentives set in play. For example, if you want to attend Prom or Senior BBQ. We keep a minimum in place, you cannot miss 10 days of class or 40 classes.” said Stefanie Itzkowitz, the 12th grade assistant principal at South Broward High School. 

Itzkowitz is responsible for keeping seniors in-line, motivating them and general counselor for all senior related things.

“Seniors attendance has been an issue this whole year. We take lots of steps to ensure that our seniors keep going in their last quarter.” said Itzkowitz. 

But, Itzkowitz says that South Broward’s first line of defense is always teachers. 

“Teachers are the ones who see students every other day and create relationships with their students.” she said. 

In situations when absences are an ongoing issue, South Broward’s engagement plan comes into play. Teachers fill out a form, students and parents are contacted for a future conference.

Thankfully, SBHS senior Jamal Douyon has never had to have a parent/teacher conference this year about missing school. He’s only missed six days this whole year. But, he deeply relates to everything Almonte says. 

He says that missing a class or two is easy when you’re laying in bed, logging into class. 

“The main reason for my absences is due to my lack of sleep. When morning rolls around I just don’t have the energy to log in.” said Douyon.

Because school is online, it is extremely easy to have distractions and errors. 

“Learning in person will eliminate the hassle of internet issues and computer issues.” said Douyon.

Both Almonte and Douyon will be attending college in the fall, to Nova and Broward College. They’re expecting for it to be in person and not as challenging as their senior year. 

“I do hope that college is more encouraging since I’ll be on campus.” said Almonte.