SBHS Tops Cooper City in Homecoming Game

Ethan Lacouty, Editor

The matchup between South Broward and Cooper City was a fight till the end, literally. Things got chippy between cross-county rivals in the second half, as players from both sides began exchanging words and shoving each other. Eventually, the referees and coaches stepped in and ended the game with 31 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

SBHS Lineman Jovaun Thorpe felt that the late game chaos was unnecessary, especially with the game already decided.

“A Cooper City player hit one of our players in the eye,” said Thorpe. “At that point we just wanted the game to end.”

Despite the dramatic finish, South Broward finished their regular season on a strong note, defeating the Cooper City Cowboys 28-14, in a memorable Saturday afternoon homecoming game. The game started off extremely close with both teams exchanging touchdowns in the first half, leaving the game all tied up at 14-14.

In the second half, the Bulldogs’ run game exploded and the Bulldogs were able to punch in two more touchdowns to ice the game.

“The win felt good but I feel that we could have done better and scored more,” said Thorpe. “Overall though, it was great to watch how our team worked together to win on our Homecoming.”

With the win, the Bulldogs finished the season undefeated at home, improved to an 8-1 record, and made the playoffs as the 7th seed.

During the game, the air was filled with chants and cheers from the many Bulldog fans in the stands according to SBHS Cheer Captain Isabella Cordero.

“The student section was way more hyped than past years for this game,” Cordero noted. “As a cheerleader, I feed off that energy and love seeing our students get involved in our game.”

With the Cooper City game behind them, South Broward looks to face the Homestead Broncos in the first-round elimination playoff game on November 12, 2021. The Bulldogs look to maintain the same unwavering mentality that has kept them competitive all season.

“As a team, I believe that we need to stay focused, stick to the game plan, and give 100 percent effort all night long,” says Thorpe.